1 Million Apple Watch Orders Already Beats Android Wear

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pucidalucida

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Oh how much you getting paid Toms? You says "amassing close to 1 million pre-orders on the first day it went up for sale. The Apple Watch has already outsold every single Android Wear watch combined, trumping the collective 720,000 units sold throughout 2014 (reported by market research firm Canalys)."

The fact is "Slice Intelligence estimates that 957,000 people in the U.S. pre-ordered an Apple Watch"

You are not smart enough to fool me, it's an estimated number yet you make it sound really happening XD

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I want to make the extra time I have as a quality time with my family. I do not want to flip a phone (or this watch) just to know updates from work (or emails). It is also expensive, so I am not buying one.

kpark7094

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
the wristwatch is a multi-billion dollar global enterprise decades old. adding "smart" to the watch and selling an updated to an outdated product is not some fad that is going away. certainly it is agreeable to envision a near future within 3 years where most watches will eventually have the smart functions added to them and consumers will buy them as they have regular watches for years now. For now, maybe the question of whether a smartwatch is needed to justify purchasing one because we have the choice of either, but as time progresses they will come with some sort of smart function included.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Just like the cell phones turned into, the watch is now trying to become everything BUT a watch... lol.
And that battery life? I can get one of those $0.50 watches you get from a vending machine that will run longer than that. But joking aside, it is a major design fail on their part; something Pebble at least took into consideration with their watch idea.

iWatch:
9to5Mac reported that Apple wants to see their upcoming device to give off "roughly 2.5 to 4 hours of active application use versus 19 hours of combined active/passive use, 3 days of pure standby time, or 4 days if left in a sleeping mode."
However, sources close to the project pointed out that the gizmo would only likely to last "approximately 2-3 days in either the standby or low-power modes.
from http://www.christianpost.com/news/apple-watch-news-rumors-battery-life-is-low-compared-to-other-smartwatches-133047/

Pebble:
"Thanks to its low-power display, the Time Steel boasts a battery life of up to 10 days."
from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mwc/11447242/Pebble-launches-Apple-Watch-rival-with-10-day-battery-life.html

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe I'm just getting old but I just don't get the appeal of a smart watch. I just cant see using a smart watch in place of my smart phone and If I have a smart phone why in the world I would then supplement it with a smart watch. This is one of those fads that I will not be jumping on.

I thought this way too until I watched some videos and read some reviews. In my case I have two email accounts, Facebook feeds, text messaging from friends and of course phone calls coming through my phone. I just started using my new LG Watch R and for example I was at the grocery. A "call" came in while I was walking down an aisle with a basket in my hand. I briefly glanced at my phone and saw it was a friend that I could skip the call until later. Had it been my boss I would have accepted the call from my phone, set the basket down and pulled my phone out of my pocket. The glance feature is nice once you get used to it.
Don't look at it as "I already have a phone, why do I need another device to tow with it". I look at it as my wrist is a lot of real estate for a glorified round egg timer. With my G watch I can change the face dial on the fly. Get a heads up on incoming emails, texts or really any app that pops up on my phone is right there. It also has a heart rate monitor and it tells me periodically how many steps I took in the day and I can set daily goals. If you are OK wearing a watch you'll wonder why you have worn a "dumb" watch for so long.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

Moral of the story- iWatch: Easier for work to prevent you from getting a break from it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.