Question Smart Watches with Fake Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2023
Many of the low priced smart watches have fake sensors for reading heart rate. They will just have a flashing green or red led. For proper instrumentation, You need a reg led, Ir led and a photodiode to read blood flow on the wrist when wearing the watch. One test is not to wear the watch and place it on a toilet paper roll and see if it gets a reading. It should not. To help make the fake reading seem real, software in the watch will use step motion rates to increase the reading when your exercising. Has anyone done a study to list the fake ones? I myself saw a Amazfit watch for less than 20$ at Amazon and wonder if any of the Amasfits can be fake at such a low price. I would have to see the sensor and run a test. I guess if I determine its fake, I can always return the watch. All I want is a simple BPM and O2 sensing tracker for a reasonable price without being fooled. The sensor ic for these watches are not expensive at all. On Aliexpress you can get a module with a MAX30100 sensor for a dollar. I guess if you eliminate a dollar per watch for 1,000,000 sold, you can save a million. Buyer beware.

timjulius1122

Banned
BANNED
Jun 24, 2023
Yes it's true that some low-priced smartwatches may have fake heart rate sensors, typically identified by flashing LEDs instead of proper instrumentation. To determine if a watch has a genuine sensor, you can perform a simple test by placing it on a toilet paper roll and checking if it provides a reading (which it shouldn't). Software on these watches may also manipulate step motion rates to make fake readings seem real during exercise.

Reactions: botsmaker
Status
Not open for further replies.