10 Biggest Tech Fails of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
"The Supreme Court agreed, dealing the upstart a bomb the size of 1,000 "Selfies.""

What the hell does this even mean? I've even googled this and nothing comes up.

macawmatt

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Not sure I would call Android Wear a fail yet. It does a lot for a first gen product. Once things get into the hands of the masses you will always find funky things like the playback controls. Sure they will be tended too.

goodoldv

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Android Wear one of the biggest tech fails? Seriously?
This author declared victory for the iWatch back in July and clearly doesn't have all his facts straight. The interface is different than Apple and that's not a bad thing. It's clean and simple and not overly complicated.
His arguments are invalid - You can play/pause without swiping. I've used this on Netflix for months and just checked Play Music and it has the same options.
An update was released quite some time ago that allows you to hide notifications without dismissing them. The newest update will actually give you a window to cancel a notification dismissal.
Don't write an article without doing your homework.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If it hadn't been an AT&T exclusive, I would have considered the Fire Phone, and rejected it in favor of my Lumia 925, but hey, it would have been in the running.

Xivilain

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
Something like Aereo will come back. Kinda like how Napster died, and now Spotify took over, with the right methods and rules in place.

Remember Palm pilots? Those died, but now they're back in a new name... Smart-Phones.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comments. A 5-star rating on Amazon doesn't mean something is a good product. As for Android Wear, I just double checked and the default music player mini app puts the Pause and forward and back buttons on separate screens. (That's what I was referring to.) Fail!

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
Hey all!

For those of you posting unsubstantiated accusations, please instead assert your positions in a civil manner with evidence-based support. Name-calling, baseless accusations of favoritism and the usual drek will be nuked without hesitation and accounts banned. Civility is compulsory. We appreciate your compliance, and please help keep commentary constructive and insightful. :)

Thanks!

Warm Regards,
Joe Pishgar
Senior Community Manager

AeroWB

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Haha lots of fails in this article.
many have been named already and I want to add another one:
"low 720p resolution" as one of the fails for the Amazon Phone.
Really 720p is enough for a 5 or 6" screen. All these extreme resolutions are a bit much. because they increase price, lower performance and increase power consumption while not being useful just barely better looking.

olafgarten

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
So according to you, if one app on a smart watch doesn't work as you like, the whole platform has failed. Also Google glass is available, it's just that most people would rater spend £2000 somewhere else.

Also fail is a verb, the noun is failure, so the (still incorrect according to a lot of the content) title should be : "10 Biggest Tech Failures of 2014 "

DingleberrryDan

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
You listed the BlackBerry Passport as one of the biggest tech fails of 2014? Have you even used the phone for an extensive period of time? Have you read about the Passport running out of stock of its initial shipments?

-- "pretty much impossible to use with one hand"

There are a good number of phablets that are pretty much impossible to use with one hand, so why is this being counted as a negative?

-- "Add in buggy performance"

Again, have you used the BB10 OS for any extensive period of time? It's a given that every operating system has glitches, but from first-hand experience, BB10 OS is smooth, intuitive, and secure.

I'm sorry, but the fact that you listed the Passport on here leads me to question your passing of judgment.

elduque

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
The Passport is awesome for one-handed consumption. You need two thumbs to type well, but scrolling on the keyboard is pretty slick.

As for tech "fails," this list is a fail. You didn't mention the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus which are so poorly engineered that they bend and crack, to say nothing of the bugginess of iOS 8.

Aereo was not a tech fail. It was totally cool tech. Neither is the Passport. As a very satisfied Passport owner, I can tell you that it's the best mobile device on the market - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.