10 Biggest Tech Fails of 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodoldv

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Mark Spoonauer - I don't know what Android Wear watch you have, the version it's on or what your default player is.
With the current version of Android Wear and any properly implemented app you do not have to swipe to get to play/pause.
I'm glad you attempted to check again but to list Android Wear as a whole a failure based on limited app usage of only a single device is hardly justified. The current version of Android Wear is 5.0.1 and I believe it was 4.4W.2 before that.
Googles default music app (Play Music) will show a play/pause button on the card itself.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Kinect 2.0 doesnt even belong on this list. While i agree that it's not everyone's cup of tea, it is bleeding edge technology.

Those of us who still subscribe to satellite TV or cable tv and have a kinect, will tell you, "i can't live without it". From changing channels, to turning off the console, forget about trying to find your remote or controller. Kinect will let you do all this from your bed or couch.

It is a flop in games, but the sheer advantages of navigating the console makes it's purchase worth every penny.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Not sure I would call Android Wear a fail yet. It does a lot for a first gen product. Once things get into the hands of the masses you will always find funky things like the playback controls. Sure they will be tended too.

I won't get one until they're not so bulky. Oh and they need significantly better battery life. Plus it needs to be platform agnostic. Maybe a future generation of MS Band might be OK once they address some of the above issues, assuming they remain compatible with all the major platforms. I'd also like to see what Samsung does in the future with Tizen on smartwatches.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
People are still posting those lies about the iCloud accounts?

There is NO evidence at all a brute force tool ever actually worked. Just some hacker who said it USED to work, and when people tried it and it didn't work for them he just replies "well, it worked when I tried it".

Hacker performs one of the greatest hacks in history (in terms of publicity) and keeps ZERO evidence of it ever working, save for some hokey screen grabs that anyone could have created.

Those celebrities had their accounts phished, not hacked.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Love my Moto 360 smartwatch with Android Wear. One of the best innovative additions to the smartphone market in long time. Having a notification center on your wrist so as not to dig out your phone every time it buzzes is fantastic. I never knew how much I always wanted it, until I had it. Similar to some of the features of newer motorola phones (motovoice, touchless control). In terms of Apple not having anything to worry about? How about a year of large scale field testing by their diret competition?

h8stylsit

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
"Mark Spoonauer: It looks like some of you didn't see that Apple made this list of tech fails. "

If you call mentioning that icloud was hacked and then saying "Although iCloud itself wasn't hacked, people still associated Apple with porous security..." validating your unbiased opinion, I would say that it is a weak argument at best.

Allowing someone to force their way into an account is bad security no matter how you try to spin it.

I won't deny that I am a supporter of Android, but based on this article and the fact that it seems to mention Apple under every failure that has an Apple competitive product show's the author's bias as well.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Sony playstation TV is a 1080i max rez unit, its a big difference on i and p
not sure why they did not include 1080p but i remember i reacted to it the first time i got a look at the spec sheet.

kidamnesiac

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I really do not understand how articles that are so blatantly biased are being published on Tom's. I've come to expect this kind of thing from a publication like eWeek, but I had higher expectations from Tom's. I suppose I may need to lower my standards...

Language is fluid. It evolves constantly. 'Dumbing' is also not an actual word, for the record. You just turned an adjective into a verb there yourself. Don't start a grammar war for no good reason if you're going to break the very rule you're complaining about.

OppenH

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Being Editor in Chief of such a badly formatted website puts you in a great position with reference to tech failures. Ever heard of ie8? May be if you had continued support for ie8, the formatting of your website would not be awful for every browser that has followed it.

OppenH

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Even when using the latest hardware and software technology, browsing tomshardware feels like I am accessing the website through an RDP session to a set-top-box from 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.