10 Real 3D Printing Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]How many here saw the picture next to the link and clicked it? Not trying to be sexist but honestly how many?[/citation]
Hi There, glad I got you to click. The bikini is a design to be printed on a 3D printer. Amazing, right? I'm sure that's why the organization behind the technology put up a youtube video about the bikini, specifically. Whatever it takes to get people interested in new tech!

Rachel Rosmarin
Managing Editor, Tom's Guide

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
At least this page allows comments, unlike in Tom's Style. I also think 3-d printing is pretty cool, but I got to this page from a little box on Toms Hardware showing articles from sister sites. Keep up the good work though!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Man 3D printing has come such a long way! Growing up my dad worked for a recently bankrupt 3D scanning company (great product, poor managers). He would bring home different busts and objects that they messed with on the computer and 'printed' with various types of 3D printers. The best I saw at the time was a mill that actually whittled down a block of wood or styrofoam. The worst were the old level-by-level printers that showed obvious lines between the tiers. But nothing was nearly so smooth and seamless as many of these examples.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I came for the altoid bikini, I stayed for the bone replacement project...that is simply amazing. The plane design concept is pretty cool, too. Hopefully their bikini project turns out better than my Mentos bikini and diet coke pool concept.

nickallen1984

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
For more info about 3D printing and see if you can get something printed for free have a look at www.3dprint-uk.co.uk - it is a very helpful and friendly site with masses of great info! They were really helpful with my project!

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So that's how they made Leeloo Dallas![/citation]
Fifth Element.

hand3.JPG

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The chocolate is pretty precise, but it seems as though it could get much more detailed and accurate. Perhaps they need to print it using more viscous (runny) "ink" and apply less at a time.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]Hi There, glad I got you to click. The bikini is a design to be printed on a 3D printer. Amazing, right? I'm sure that's why the organization behind the technology put up a youtube video about the bikini, specifically. Whatever it takes to get people interested in new tech!Rachel RosmarinManaging Editor, Tom's Guide[/citation]

LOL, Rachel, you got me to click too! What can I say, I'm a sucker! But this was a really cool story, and it just says to me that we're well on the way to getting personal replicators!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]LOL, Rachel, you got me to click too! What can I say, I'm a sucker! But this was a really cool story, and it just says to me that we're well on the way to getting personal replicators![/citation]
The replicator from Star Trek: TNG is within my top five list of "Science Fiction Gadgets I Desperately Wish Were Real." We're getting closer!

Rachel Rosmarin

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]The replicator from Star Trek: TNG is within my top five list of "Science Fiction Gadgets I Desperately Wish Were Real." We're getting closer!Rachel RosmarinManaging Editor, Tom's Guide[/citation]

Heh, mine too. Can't wait!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]WHERE'S THE BOOBIES[/citation]
The 3D printed bikini design is on the last page of the article, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. Good luck to you.

Rachel Rosmarin

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]lordcrazex[/nom]in later years, people can print their own guns and weapons at the comfort of their home. yaay~sarcasm[/citation]
Maybe...but for now, they'll have to buy a $20,000 printer just to make a spork...of, course it could be twice the size of ordinary sporks...

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
scary how real this printing is! Pretty Cool stuff, there's some cool videos about this recreating full functioning wrenches and other tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.