10 Reasons the iPhone Beats Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoophan

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
Actually, both iOS and Android suck.
After thinking long and hard to come up with an informative comment, you come up with "both iOS and Android suck?!?" Maybe you can think a little harder and maybe expand on your comment and maybe tell us why you feel this way?

phoophan

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
I could easily debate each of the Ten items above but I don't have time nor do I want to bore anyone. All I can say is, Android has had all of the above years before Apple. NFC?!? High quality cameras?!? Ease of use?!? It appears this author was using a very long extension trying to come up with Ten Reasons and 9 out of 10 are simply wrong! Nice try though....

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I agree with you Apple is way overpriced what they give you over Android Smart Phones.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Nothing wrong with a windows phone. At least it works with the stereo here lol. Supports BT, NFC.

You can move apps to an sd card. You cant on Android unless you root it. Supports wireless charging. Well it will once the charging pad arrives.

Cant say much about the Iphone. Never had one dont intend to buy one either. Too expensive

ajpaolello

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I'm just watching the salt pour out of the Android fanboys. And before you say that if the author had put the article "10 reasons why Android beasts iOS" I'd be doing the same thing, no I wouldn't. I would accept the author's reasons but still have a personal preference.

Basically, grow up.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
I have used ios, Android and Windows phones. I currently use a Windows 8 phone (Lumia 635), and want to point out that the app support is currently somewhere between limited and nonexistent. The preinstalled stuff is fine, but 90% of apps only get made for ios or Android which can be frustrating. Win 10 Mobile promises to address this issue, and allow for some type of emulation, but I am a little skeptical that this will work out.

Paul NZ

Admirable
True android have more apps. Pity that most of the android smartphones here are crap.

They dont have enough space so you can actually update the apps on them

Unless you know which one to get (thats not expensive)

I haven't got anything that I would need a windows app for.

BUT, I may get some wifi security cams soon

And the only apps that they support are android apps. So may have to buy a cheap android

ajpaolello

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I'm just watching the salt pour out of the Android fanboys. And before you say that if the author had put the article "10 reasons why Android beasts iOS" I'd be doing the same thing, no I wouldn't. I would accept the author's reasons but still have a personal preference.

Basically, grow up.

Gnrl Kitty

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
1. Very subjective. I've always used iPhones, but recently bought a OnePlus One, and picked up Android immediately.
2. I'll totally give you this one.
3. VERY Subjective. There are a lot of apps on Android I can't and likely will never be able to get on iPhone. Some of them I practically need now that I have them.
4. I'll half give you this. There isn't really true bloatware on iOS, but there are plenty of stock apps I can't remove that I wish I could: Apple Watch, Game Center, Voice Memos, Passbook, Stocks, Apple maps, Newstand, Health, Podcasts, Tips are all apps I want gone. If it was like Android and I could have apps installed that don't show up on my homescreens, then I wouldn't care. But I can't.
5. I don't have a Mac.
6. I'll also give you this one.
7. Apple Pay won't be widely available for several years, and I live in a small town where I'll never see it without traveling half an hour to a major retailer.
8. I don't have a smart home.
9. I don't have anything I want to share with my family. This is MY personal device. Not my family's.
10. Android has forums, Apple has forums. Apple's forums are not better. In fact a lot of questions have thousands of unanswered threads because only Apple knows what the problem is and they don't release PSAs to let us know about them because that would cause people to talk about "that problem iOS has." And the nearest Apple Store is over an hour away.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. It's true that Android beats iPhone in some areas, including NFC. My colleague has a good counterpoint column that outlines Android strengths here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/android-is-better-than-iphone,news-21296.html

But I'd argue that with something like NFC, it only became truly relevant and mainstream with Apple Pay. It's not about the underlying technology, it's about what consumers can do with it. Pairing two devices with a tap is just nice to have.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
1) It depends on the user. I personally find my Samsung easier to use, but my wife prefers her iPhone.

2) That's not necessarily a bad thing as updating to the newest and greatest of the OS can sometimes cause more problems than good until all bugs have been ironed out. This applies to both android and apple phones.

3.) Again, that is subjective. There are apps that come out on Apple first, there are apps that come out on Android first. There are some apps that will never come out on Apple due to their closed garden approach. There are, however, quite a few junk apps on Android.

4.) Personally, I haven't had an issue with bloatware even though everyone says Verizon and Samsung load their phones with it. If there is an app I won't use they pre-install, I can easily uninstall it. Quite a few of them though I have found quite handy. This argument can be made the same way with Windows vs OSX in that they pre-load a ton of apps on OSX and it is supposedly better. Is less or more better? As they say "you can't have it both ways"; Apple seems to think otherwise.

5.) iPhone: works great with Macs; completely messes up Windows based PCs. And Linux? You're on your own there. Basically, if you subscribe to Apple's 'walled garden' approach, you're good to do. For the other 80% of the users out there without a Mac, this is not an advantage at all.

6.) iPhone cameras may be great, but there are other Android devices that are better (and worse). The Samsung Galaxy S6 isn't the only game in town.

7.) Apple pay isn't supported yet except in very few places. Samsung already has their own version of it, google will soon as well. By the time this feature becomes mainstream, every device will have it.

8.) You can do the same thing just as easily with an Android device. And because Android phones are more open than iPhones, you can potentially add communication devices that Apple would have to await approval through their store.

9.) This one I'm not sure about since I've never tried it with google's play store. However, you can with the Amazon app store; which works just fine for me and my father on our android devices (my wife's iPhone is left out in the cold).

10.) Android has just as much support as Apple does; forums, stores, etc. The only difference is if you need to take one in for repair, the iPhone device will cost you more as only the Apple store will fix Apple devices; and charge a premium for it.

So let's add another feature that lacks in the iPhone; and the main reason why I got an Android device instead: expandable memory. My wife's iPhone is constantly running out of space due to pictures taken to the point where she bought a 2nd Android phone strictly for storing music. My Note Edge on the other hand has a MicroSD slot; allowing me to either upgrade it cheaply or swap out when full. If you're like me and don't have internet access where you work, but want to listen to music still; this is a must have feature.

jerryrip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
The only 2 reasons that are legitimate in my book are #1 and 10. Otherwise all of the rest are being eliminated, such as Android not having a pay system and a good camera. The new S6 has the best camera there is, and Samsung Pay is making its debut. As far as working with Macs, I don't care, as I have never owned any Apple product, and the bloatware is generally added by each carrier, so that's not the fault of Android. Apple may come up with the best apps, but that's all you're allowed to install. Android has all kinds of apps you can use, and the shy's the limit. I'll never buy into Apple's "do it the way we tell you to do it" system.

ryanpm40

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
I counter your opinion wiitih... MORE OPINIONS :). No hard feelings, I love my Macbook, but I definitely prefer Android for my tablet and phone needs.

1. I find that Android is easiest to use. It is more similar to a PC environment, something most people are familiar with. I have no idea what I'm doing when I pick up my girlfriend's iPhone.

2. Agreed, this is annoying. However, it's more at the fault of the carriers than Google.

3. I've never had an issue finding an app on my android device.

4. Agreed, bloatware sucks. However, this is easy to fix by rooting, or you can just hide bloatware by disabling it or using a custom launcher. Yayy options!

5. My android works beautifully with my Macbook Pro. I do really wish I had iMessenger though (the only reason I'd ever consider an iPhone, but the cons outweigh the pros for me).

6. I feel that most Android flagships have much better cameras than iPhones, and the majority of iPhone adds showing camera shots have a little disclaimer saying "this photo was touched up by X app..."

7. Google Wallet is supported everywhere Apple Pay is, at least where I live. And it's been around for much longer.

8. Android lets you control a bunch of smart devices as well. 'Ok Google' works better than Siri, and the extra Chromecast support that isn't included on iPhones is awesome (yes, there is SOME chromecast functionality on iPhones).

9. I don't really know anything about family sharing, nor do I really care about it.

10. Agreed, I enjoy having the Genius Bar as an option for my other Apple products.

Therapistz

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
1. Honestly the two phones are designed so similiar. If you think you can nagivate around on an iphone and you think an android is too complicated to use. Then you haven't actually used one. They are so both straight forward.
2.This is true, but think about how much more work has to be done to create new a OS for all them different companies of android compared to just one yearly iphone.
3. I have never had a problem on either device finding an app and there are always similar apps on each phone for Google's personal apps and Apple's personal apps
4.Depends how you pick up the double sided sword, You can group all the useless apps and junk into a folder on both Phones, but you can actually delete them on the Android.
5.Would never own a Mac, need a real computer tower to do what i do.
6. I believe the S6 has a better camera, if you actually look at comparsions. Check out the link to see http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s6-vs-iphone-6,review-2721.html
7.Google Wallet has been around for a little longer and works everywhere Apple Pay does.
8.Dont have a Smart Home, but i believe there still are android apps to do the same thing
10. Best support for three arm and a leg for every transaction. Dead battery, let me charge you to open it and then for the battery. No thanks ill just buy a new battery on amazon for 20 bucks for my galaxy.

How are so articles so opinionated and full of such detailed facts.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s6-vs-iphone-6,review-2721.html
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/android-is-better-than-iphone,news-21296.html

Wimmme

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
1. Better Hardware and Software Integration
Nope. Can be true sometimes for cheap low-end devices, but starting from half the price of an iPhone everything works very well ...

2. Great Cameras
Sure, iPhone has a great camera, but they suck compared to camera's in high-end Sony and Samsung phones, and especially compared to LG's G3 an G4 camera's.

3. It's the Easiest Phone to Use
Partly. Personally, I think Windows Phone is even easier to use. And iOS is easier just because the only thing you can do on an iPhone is open an app. With my android phone I automate my life ! An iPhone stands closer qua functionality to a dumbphone than to a pimped android phone. The easiest phone to use were the old Nokia's ;-)

4. OS Updates When You Want Them
True that. On android i have to flash custom ROMS for that, not easy for non-techies, but it IS possible ...

5. The Best Apps First
This was true some years ago. Nowadays apps come out for iOS and Android simultaneously, android just because more people use them.
Great apps like Whatsapp, facebook, Instagram give their beta's and new functionalities first on android, if everything 's fine IOS gets the too.

6. No Bloatware!
Not true in Europe. No bloatware here, but we pay for our phones ourselves ;-)

7. Works beautifully with Macs
Almost as good as android works together with google I presume ? I don't use a Mac, most people still don't

8. Apple Pay
Not useable here. Android alternatives are there, Bancontact and Visa apps coming up that are better integrated with our banks, as it should be.

9. Family Sharing
True that? matter of time perhaps ?

10. Best Support and Help
I don't even like Samsung, but I had a question with some of their software, got a call 3 hours later in my own language with about the best support I EVER got from an IT company (and i did IT support and consultancy myself ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.