10 Reasons the iPhone Beats Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOpinionMatters

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
1. Better hardware and software integration
Uhm, this is your opinion. I love my Note 3, and I love the software integration with TouchWiz... but yet, this is my opinion. Touch Display is neat, but not a "OMG I MUST GET AN IPHONE NOW" deal.

2. Great Cameras
Galaxy Note 5 is just as good, if not better, than the iPhone camera. Honestly, all phones take great pictures. "but I suspect live photos will actually catch on because more people will be exposed to it and because apple makes options like this easy to use." lol what? This is a matter of opinion.

3. It's the easiest phone to use
Again, opinion. Android is way easier to use. See that? That is my opinion. You literally have a phone with a bunch of icons plastered on a single screen in rows. On Android, you have WIDGETS, FOLDERS, and several (some good, some bad) launchers. More customization, and less clutter. Your article is implying that something like the Start Menu on Windows is hard to use, or the dialog menus are hard to use in OSX. Come on.

4.OS Updates When You Want Them
I'll give you that. Android is a PITA to update. Oh, crap. It's not Android's fault. It's the CARRIER'S fault. They have their own process for OTA updates.

5. The Best Apps first
There are tons of apps that come out for Android before they even are thought about being released on Apple. This is a stupid comparison.

Oh, and did you know most apps that are paid on iOS are free on Android?

6. No bloatware
So no stock apps are installed what's so ever? Unlikely. There is bloatware. Carrier bloatware is admittedly an issue for Android, but you can disable most of them. Or just root your device and remove them all.

7. Works beautifully with macs
I don't have a Mac. I have Linux and Windows 10. iOS and Linux are a bad combination. Android works great on all three.

8. Apple Pay
Google Wallet came out way before Apple Pay.
Samsung Pay supports all current and future machines.

9. Family Sharing
Neat feature - with the "Ask to buy" stuff, I'll admit. The rest? Meh. I can already do this with Google.

10. Best Support and Help
Uhm, Android has plenty of good support and if you really need help your carrier likely offers help for the most part. Also, no "Genius Bar" anywhere near where I live. So, useless.

Tom's Guide has lost all of my respect and trust after reading this crap article. All of this is opinions, and no proof or fact to back it up.

Widodo

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
I started to use mobile phone since 1995, the first one was very bulky Motorola Dyna Tac. I never owned Blackberry although my wife and kids owned this as well as most my friend, because Windows Mobile much better and compatible with my laptop. I loose my trust to Apple product because my first desk top 1982 Apple IIe was killed by IBM PC, my first PDA Apple Newton was killed by Palm Pilot and also presently iOS almost killed by Android as well as Blackberry which is almost die.
If iPhone beats Android why global market share of iOS almost stay at around 20% since 2009 compared with Android which less than 5% on 2009 then jumped up to 77% on Q1 2014 as per reported by www.businessinsider.com?

eldridgep

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
This site is coming nothing more than an Apple advert. Look at the "news" page 1st page 6 Apple articles, next page 13 Apple stories........ sad to see from a once great site.

Josef_1

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
There is a larger issue that an article like this fails to notice, I'll mention that at the end of my comment. First, my issues with this article:
1."Better Hardware and Software Integration" is decided by the manufacturer. this "Taptic engine" could easily be implemented by an android phone if a company just decided "hey, let's do that"
2. "Great Cameras" is not an argument on the side of apple. Android has phones with 16 megapixel cameras, usually from LG.
3. iPhones definitely are the easiest phones to use. Android is more customize-able. That's not a point on either side, it's a trade off, like windows or linux.
4. " OS Updates When You Want Them" is part of the larger issue, but basically, if you want to compare iPhones and Androids, you have to use the nexus devces. This point is irrelevant on nexus devices.
5. "The Best Apps First" (I wouldn't know about this one)
6. "No Bloatware!" this is the main problem caused by the larger problem. Irrelevant on nexus devices.
7. "Works beautifully with Macs" That has to be the weakest argument I've ever heard. We don't all have macs, most people use windows.
8."Apple Pay" is the same old tactic apple has always used, turning old tech into a marketing point. This is nothing new and everyone with a newer smartphone has this tech.
9. "Family Sharing" the majority of features here are also provided by google, but they aren't just family oriented. The purchasing thing is not on android as far as I know, someone might correct me.
10. " Best Support and Help" that costs. The apple support site has never offered me useful help for free. Android users are not "On their own", there is a great community built around android that can provide great help for FREE

The larger issue starts at google allowing anyone to produce android phones. These third parties, mainly Samsung and LG, have their own visions for android, and modify base android to their liking. They load bloatware on to their phones and absolutely MUST modify android before allowing it anywhere near their devices, causing greatly extended times before their users can get their updates. Samsung doesn't even want to be part of google's system in the first place, but they can't produce their phones without google's android, and they destroy the android ecosystem because of it.

iPhones belong to Apple, and only apple. Google freely allows anyone to use android. If you want to compare the two, you have to eliminate as many variables as possible where it comes to production. Apple does all production for iPhones, so the only device good for comparison would be the nexus devices. They are produced according to google's plan and nobody else's, just like iPhones. Any other android will be plagued with issues.

takiB

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2015
1. Better Hardware and Software Integration?stylus is superior
2. Great Cameras?Galaxy 6/Note 5 have better overall cameras
3. It's the Easiest Phone to Use?in the past? Not easy when functions missing
4. OS Updates When You Want Them?Correct (easier on reduced variety). Investment diminishes when moving to other OS
5. The Best Apps First?Tested on iphone (less variations) & mature on Android (cheaper & more useful apps)
6. No Bloatware!?Google Nexus is better value, your choice if the bloatware is really useful (eg. $70 free Navigon on older Galaxy)
7. Works beautifully with Macs?Not with remaining 90%+ of PCs
8. Apple Pay?really???
9. Family Sharing?iPay$$s? thanks. Frends sharing free apps
10. Best Support & Help?Absolutely true if stores available & functionality supported. Not true if majority has Android (Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Russia, India…). Custom ROMs?

cherzo

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
better hardware? you dont know what you are saying or talking about, actually look at whats in an iphone

taki2

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015

taki2

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
You are right. I'm IT pro & had (~best) smartphones since 2001.
iPhone never competes on hardware but ecosystem (if you can afford to be locked-in). It cannot compete with so many functions missing:
Stylus
removable battery
SD card
FM radio
universal NFC/pay
screen to body ratio
various shapes/configurations
dust/waterproof
rugged
USB3
infra-red
oxygen/UV/etc sensors
back/task phisical buttons
QHD/UHD resolution
>12MP camera
>2GB ram
universal usb charge
battery life >1.5days
USB Om the Go
Dual front speakers
Thermometer
WiFi direct
Wireless charging
Round/flexible screen
Best Screen tech (SAMOLED)
Use bluetooth mouse (not sure)…

This 2yrd old list is mostly valid:
http://thedroideffect.com/100-things-iphone-5s-still-cant-do-android-can/

Sd2016

Commendable
Feb 10, 2016
Even if most of this article wasn't true (which it is, by the way), Apple destroys Android in ease of use. The multiple homescree a are tedious, confusing, and entirely unnecessary. In my opinion, that is the most important category when choosing a phone, and Apple wins by miles and miles. Also, the iPhone is beautifully designed, which Androids simply are not. Nobody wants an ugly phone.

Kevin0910

Commendable
Feb 13, 2016
^ The sony xperias and the newer samsung devices look nice and use high quality materials in their build, so they are on par to iphones. And apple is just like german cars are. A useless status symbol.

Kevin0910

Commendable
Feb 13, 2016

Apple products aren't compatible with the world's standards of anything. Only the wealthy and vain use macs and iphones where I am. In the workplace, everyone uses windows (7) and android devices. On top of that, almost all software is compatible with windows, and Android works great and simple with windows, just like a simple flash drive.

Alexis_14

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
6s beats android? you must specify a 1 android phone to compare with iphone 6s, the one with the same specs or relative to 6s specs. Try to compare it with Sony Xperia series you'll notice the difference not to that korean Samsung [watch you language].

nikita_2

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Wait "apple pay" have you heard of Samsung pay. Not all androids but s6,s6 edge,note 5 and s7 and s7 edge have Samsung pay that works on any credit card terminal and the rest have Android pay so its like the same.

Tmc616

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
That's a great point of view but I can give you at least 15 reasons that android is better than IOS, hardware and software wise.
As a sample, Android used amoled displays while iphones still continue to use traditional leds.
Android's security goes way beyond ios with fingerprint scanners.
Androids are far more customizable that iphones.
Androids can be charged from any kind of micro usb cords (iphones can't).
Android has everything Google (the worlds largest search engine) has to offer like google now, and I guarantee iPhone users use Google search but only get a tiny taste of the pie.
I could go on and on and on but I don't feel like typing that much.
I had an iphone one time for a short time and after I saw what android had I swore I'd never switch back.

Tmc616

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I couldn't imagine thinking iphones ever being better than androids. I can can come up with at least 15 reasons why android is waaaaaayyyy better than ios or iphones.
But for now heres a little sample.
Androids are far more customizable than iphones, with widgets that tell you the weather, the time in other countries and voice comands without even opening a single thing.
Androids are made from some of the world's best manufacturers like sony, LG and samsung, iphones: Apple.
Androids have far more and better features like sd slots, rf blasters to turn your phone into a TV remote (which kicks ass when the other remotes are missing), fingerprint scanners to unlock your phone, and the ability to check your heart rate, stress level and automatically counts your steps when you walk somewhere.
And best of all, with android, you have everything Google (the world's largest search engine) has to offer like google now and upload photos to google drive with one tap, I guarantee iPhone users use Google search and only get a tiny taste of that Google pie.
And with android your not on your own, my galaxy s6 has a samsung support app that notifies you when your phone even hiccups, and has a live chat support (free of course) where I can video chat with a live technician, without having to go to a store.
Need more reasons? I got plenty more, just let me know when you wanna hear em.

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Sorry buddy but this article is a total failure. You just gave me 10 reason.... in which 8 android is already good at. Mean while i can give you 30 reason why i will stick to my GS6 Edge+. ????????

Tmc616

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.