10 Things We Hate About iPhone 3G

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

issar85

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Its not that Apple is being criticized. Some of the points in the article were very valid. But author did mostly whine about some very trivial stuff. "Oh no, I have to check my phone for missed messages, it won't do it for me." and then there is the "I have to go get a document and spreadsheet program for my phone, that sucks." as if you don't have to go get one for your computer. BTW the iTunes store DOES point out the App Store, it is in the VERY FIRST LIST on the homepage of the store where it lists things like, Music, Movies, TV Shows, iPod Games, and OOH! APP STORE! The author should grow up and open his eyes. But again, some of the other points were very valid.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
For everyone who is saying the author pointed out trivial stuff about the iPhone: are you the kind of people who buy a new car and then when small stuff happens to it--like maybe the window squeaks when you open and close it--you just shrug and say, "Oh well, that's fine with me if it has a few odd problems." I'm sorry, but as a consumer, when I spend my money on a luxury item, I want it to be GREAT. The iPhone is really pretty good--that's what the author says at the beginning--but it has a few annoying quirks, and I think as consumers we should inform the companies we purchase from that we want an even better product. Products won't get better unless we tell them HOW we want it. Everybody wants an ideal gadget, right?

G

I'm a pc but I love my iphone. It's an ever changing, evolving device. That I never get bored with. It's more than a phone. If ever start to get bored. I go to the app store and find they have an app for that. Can anyone say they have a piece of technology they owen that doesn't piss them off at times. This is the nature of the best. A love hate love thing that rivals any other relationship I ever had. I will never give it up. I can't wait for the new iphone. I know that I will find things to try my patience with it too. After all I'm a pc. I have learned to cope.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
The folks that comment on THG articles are for the most part idiots. They all seem to hate THG but come back time and time again to comment negatively. They also seem to be closed minded and can't accept that other people have opinions as well... Seriously, what is wrong with you people? Go start your own news sites since you seem to know better than everyone else.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ambictus[/nom]The folks that comment on THG articles are for the most part idiots. They all seem to hate THG but come back time and time again to comment negatively. They also seem to be closed minded and can't accept that other people have opinions as well... Seriously, what is wrong with you people? Go start your own news sites since you seem to know better than everyone else.[/citation]
I don't think this is true. I think the nature of forums is for people to be very negative and insulting. I try to probe a little deeper and try to understand what people are saying because usually there is a nugget of valid criticism in there somewhere. Generally the tone on these forums is respectful and thoughtful, though once in a while we get people who don't think before they *submit.*

LionelHutz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Wow - I am apparently in the minority on this one. I thought the article was right on.

The biggest issue with me is AT&T lock-in. If you're in a spot where the network is good - good for you. Sucks by me.

Same gripe on the repeat notifications. Notifications need to be acknowledged. I have calendar appointments go off all the time - If you don't hear the beep, tough luck to you. Not friendly.

I also gripe: try to put MP3's on an iPhone and play them.

Others have already commented on the password masking - I think apple is OK here - they do show the last character you type for a second or two before applying the mask. You just have to be paying attention.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]I really can't win. No matter what we write about Apple, so many of you are unhappy. Either we are too easy on Apple, and you call us "fanboys," or we're too negative, and people say we are hating on Apple as usually. Why can't you just take my word for it that we, as editors, treat Apple just like every other company--which is to say, fairly.[/citation]

I know it must be frustrating to see your work always criticized no matter what you do. Just try and not fall prey to it.

The author of an article can write the 10 things they hate the most about the iPhone, it doesn't mean they are bashing it. Pointing out annoyances that others deal with every day but didn't realize it was a problem, that's what I find helpful. Thanks.

videogamerign

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
you can save the picture messages to your iphone you just have to save them like you save any other picture by holding down on the picture till a message comes up asking if you want to save it

qwakcookie

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
The reason why you have to enter your itunes password to download a free app is because they also want to make sure that you don't owe them money. I don't know if you noticed, when you buy an app, your credit card is not charged right away (takes a couple of days). By requiring a login, it will check if the account is in arrears and stop the download if there is money owing, even if the app to be downloaded is free.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]The title should be "10 Things I want to whine about". Most of these wern't problems with the phone at all. Complaining about masked passwords? Hell, everything masks passwords when you enter them. It's for your safety. But then again, from the content of the article, you strike me as a "my password is 123" kinda guy anyway. Complaining about the iTunes website? How is the crappy website the iPhone's fault? Maybe I could submit a reader article"Top 10 Things I Hate About THG's Reporting"[/citation]

I love how whenever anything bad is said about these apparently Godly devices known as Ipods and iPhones, the Apple fanboy's come out of the woodwork and bash that person senseless.

You, are one of those such people. The Apple stereotype never fails, friends.

G

Let the Fan Bois hate, I dig the article. At least someone has the balls enough not to just say "I love my Iphone, it's perfect". I can type faster on my moto Q than anybody I know with an iphone, I can replace my own battery, and I don't look like a lemming carrying a WinMo phone around.

I'm still waiting for the day when Walmart starts selling Mac's as well. What will the zealots do when their beloved shiney white boxes can be bought at Wallyword???

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]I love how whenever anything bad is said about these apparently Godly devices known as Ipods and iPhones, the Apple fanboy's come out of the woodwork and bash that person senseless.You, are one of those such people. The Apple stereotype never fails, friends.[/citation]

Wow. Unbased opinion if I ever saw one. As a matter of fact, I hate Apple. I hate the iPhone. I was simply pointing out that the "flaws" with the iPhone that the author is pointing out aren't really flaws with the phone at all. A crappy iTunes web site isnt the phone's fault. Masked passwords aren't the phone's fault. Not knowing how to change settings and operate the phone isn't the phone's fault. You might try having some basis before you cry "FANBOI!" when the whole point of my post had nothing do to with being a fanboy at all. Fail.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah, the childish flaming is making my Tom's experience less and less enjoyable... Honestly it's beginning to become annoying. Grow up people.

There is no reason to try and belittle people because their view on something is different than yours. If you would be a little mature in your responses to an article then your thoughts would probably be heard/considered instead of looked down upon.

G

If I receive a text message and don't look at it my Iphone repeats the text message sound every couple minutes until I do look at it.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have a 3G with ATT so I can speak from experience and not Apple fanboyISM from people who don't even OWN an iPhone. The article is dead RIGHT!..., imagine that. There are great things about the iphone but it is NOT Perfect people, get over it. I love the google mapping and GPS and the easy way it handles multiple email accounts and the big screen when browsing the (slow) internet but it has issues. Like the article says, my biggest issue is that $(@#&@(#^$ iTunes crap.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have a 3G with ATT so I can speak from experience and not Apple fanboyISM from people who don't even OWN an iPhone. The article is dead RIGHT!..., imagine that. There are great things about the iphone but it is NOT Perfect people, get over it. I love the google mapping and GPS and the easy way it handles multiple email accounts and the big screen when browsing the (slow) internet but it has issues. Like the article says, my biggest issue is that $(@#&@(#^$ iTunes crap.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
ooops, sorry guys for all the posts, my internet browser kept saying it could not submit, so I switched to Firefox..., but apparently it was submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.