Solved! 10 Year Old Pc vs a New Laptop in the $600-$700 range.

Jan 31, 2019
I'm starting to get frustrated with my current pc, and have always wanted a laptop for portability.
I think I heard somewhere if a laptop and computer have the same specs, the laptop is usually going to not work as well?
So I want to make sure any laptop I get is better then my current pc but under $700 (and preferably one where the screen can flip around?), and I don't know if maybe because my computers so old that maybe it makes it easy to do with no need to worry too much?

Currently my Computer is Rated as mainly TreeTrunk according to this benchmark test: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14285341

I was wondering what maybe the cheapest laptop (I'm pretty sure I want an ssd) would be where I'd see noticiable results in pc performance?

I was kind of thinking about getting either the Lenovo Yoga 720 or 730? (good idea or not?)
It seems like the specs for them are higher then my current pc, but I don't know if that means they'll nessarily seem better, just due to them being laptops?

I'm mostly looking for something:
-Main thing, a pc that can to some extent reasonably run Internet (With 10-30 tabs open at a time.) and an Art Program open at the same time.
-^ Preferably also alongside a Video Editing software a few times a month.
-Occasionally a Game maybe open at the same time time as the Internet. (Probably on Low-Medium settings if it's 3d, but I'll be doing mostly non-3d games, but would still like at least mild compatibility with 3d games. -I usually play outdated games since that's when they go down in price if that helps.)

Solution
1. If you want to multitask, the first thing to have is lots of ram.
16gb should do it.

2. Any modern laptop will have a processor that is considerably faster than the core 2 duo in your 10 year old dell OptiPlex.

3. The real key to snappy performance in a laptop will be a ssd. Do not buy anything without a ssd for windows.

4. If you want gaming, you really need a laptop with a dedicated graphics adapter.
But, since your needs are modest, current intel HD620 graphics will run anything, just not as fast.

5. Pay attention to screen size and type. Inexpensive tn type panels will look washed out compared to ips panels.

All in all, I like the Lenovo and thinkpad laptops.
It might be worth a pass through the Lenovo outlet...

geofelt

Distinguished
1. If you want to multitask, the first thing to have is lots of ram.
16gb should do it.

2. Any modern laptop will have a processor that is considerably faster than the core 2 duo in your 10 year old dell OptiPlex.

3. The real key to snappy performance in a laptop will be a ssd. Do not buy anything without a ssd for windows.

4. If you want gaming, you really need a laptop with a dedicated graphics adapter.
But, since your needs are modest, current intel HD620 graphics will run anything, just not as fast.

5. Pay attention to screen size and type. Inexpensive tn type panels will look washed out compared to ips panels.

All in all, I like the Lenovo and thinkpad laptops.
It might be worth a pass through the Lenovo outlet store.

Here is one unit:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/lenovo/ideapad-flex-series/Lenovo-ideapad-FLEX-5-1570/p/81CAX022US

Solution