$1000 max laptop for productivity

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hello everyone!

Anyways, so my brother just had a 8 year old macbook pro die, so now he wants to get another laptop for productivity, this includes Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Premiere Pro CC.

He feels better getting a macbook air or pro because he knows it will last him a while, my concern with that is their specs are quite weak in comparison to what he can get from a windows laptop. The macbooks only have dual core CPU's typically and no discrete graphics cards.

So for $1000, should he get a macbook air/pro or go with a windows laptop? Thanks.

G

I believe you will have to provide us more information for us to help you decide. All we know until now is that your decision relies on opinions. All I can help you right now is comparing life time of macs over non-macs, I am typing from a 6 years old acer and it's still going strong and I don't think it'll die in two more years (in case it does it's okay too). I would like to add that there's hate towards acer in terms of build quality, if this is bad build quality then I guess a normal life time is about 15 years...

It's a hit or miss when it comes to life time of electronics, it can die right now or in 20 years. It's uncertain

Liam Murphy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Sorry for not being clear. I suppose I want to ask if Apple's build quality and length of life is actually worth the fact that the macbooks are less powerful. Or are windows laptops able to compare to that same life span? If that makes any sense.

G

Windows is an OS and it's a very well made one. Notebook's with windows average life span should be equal to those which has OSX as their OS. It really depends on the design and if it's been used heavily. I would say it's either a hit or a miss. People who say that macbook's life span is significantly longer than other notebook's is the same people that see a pop up and instantly hire a technician claiming its pc has viruses. It's also the same people that get a blue screen because of a bad driver installation and claim their pc is dead.