Solved! 1080 vs 2080

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey guys, I have been out of the loop on new hardware and such over the last year or two, and I was looking to get a gaming laptop since I will be moving around and such, and need a mobile PC.

So far I really would like to get a ASUS ROG Zephyrus(I think it looks clean and compact which I'd like).

• How are the benchmarks of the 1080 vs the 2070/80?

Stick with the 1080 or go for the 2070/2080?

Would you recommend the ROG Strix SCAR II or the ZEPHYRUS S GX531GW/701GW?

Any other laptops recommendations that do not have the ugly gamer appeal?

I'm currently coming from a 6700k/970 PC I built, which I've had for awhile. Wanted to get some 2nd opinions before I pulled the trigger.

EDIT: how do the MAX-Q versions of GPU compare to normal versions performance wise?

Solution

Something to think about is resolution, if you are gaming @1080p then a GTX 1070 is plenty; it even does ok @1440p Very High, but if you are possibly going to...

loki1944

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I would recommend a desktop gaming pc rather than a laptop; as an owner of several gaming laptops from Origin, Sager, Alienware, Dell, and Asus (my last one being the Asus G752VS), none of them have good cooling for the CPU and will result in some throttling. This will hamper the performance of your entire system. If you still have that 6700K system, put a 2080 in it and call it good. If you are traveling a lot then do a m-ITX conversion.

As to the GTX 1080 it is plenty for 1080p Ultra/1440p Very High-Ultra @60+FPS; the 2070 is pretty much the same. The GTX 2080 is roughly equivalent to a GTX 1080Ti and is more suited to 4K gaming.

dQgzdnu.png
[/url][/img]

I built a mini-ITX for constant traveling a couple of years ago that is still viable today; if you want the best bang for buck and something that you can easily upgrade and fix, then I highly recommend going mini-ITX.

I'm not exaggerating on gaming laptops overheating on the CPU.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GM501 Overheating Instantly

Most people don't pay attention to the temps and don't realize that their CPU is throttling. Most gaming laptop reviews only do minimal testing, not intensive 4 hour gaming sessions, so they will not show how bad it gets; either deliberately or due to time constraints.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
A mini-itx PC for travel? That means I'd have to bring a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all this extra stuff with me...that's not feasible for me in the slightness.

I AM getting a laptop regardless. I will eventually build a full normal high-end PC next year, but I do want a laptop for mobile use as well regardless.

My friend has a gaming laptop, and its nice, he can game on it for hours with no throttling. I am not concerned with that.

loki1944

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Is your friend actually monitoring the CPU and stress testing? Having traveled overseas back and forth about 8 times with my mini-ITX it is not that big of a deal; you get a short keyboard, I usually just use whatever TV is where I am for a display, and if you're gaming without a mouse to begin with I don't know what to say. As to the laptop itself, if you are gaming on a 15 inch screen then you might as well save the money and go with whichever is cheapest and keep it @1080p. That would appear to be the ASUS ROG Strix SCAR II with the GTX 1070, which is plenty for 1080p gaming.

Performance would be pretty much the same as my G752VS with a GTX 1070 as below:

3p5JVTC.png
[/url][/img]

ZMmSOAT.png
[/url][/img]

1zlCk2C.png
[/url][/img]

mKUjR8b.png
[/url][/img]

CZAB2tQ.png
[/url][/img]

g09mh2m.png
[/url][/img]

BLfrzYr.png
[/url][/img]

3uACHMr.png
[/url][/img]

Of course this is all with the belief in some fiscal adherence, by all means if money is no object then a 2080 will be the best option.

Also here is a full review of the Zepyrus with a GTX 1080.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
If I had the time I would build one of those portable cases with a monitor built in and all that, but I don't. Wish I could, that would be fun, but no time right now. Plus, even that that is not something I can bring with me where I am going.

I do need a good portable laptop for all the typical stuff and gaming, money isn't an issue, but good value is still. I won't pay 300$ for 5-10% performance increases unless I am building an actual gaming setup with 3 4k monitors.

The ASUS ROG Strix SCAR II seems like a fairly good value, I may go with that, and doesn't seem as thin.

loki1944

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Something to think about is resolution, if you are gaming @1080p then a GTX 1070 is plenty; it even does ok @1440p Very High, but if you are possibly going to hook up to an external 1440p/2160p display to game then you will need a GTX 1080/2070 or 2080, respectively. Same on FPS, if 60 FPS is good enough for you @1080p Very High then you don't need to go past the 1070, but if you want 120FPS in the most demanding games @1080p Very High/Ultra, then you're better off looking to the 1080/2070.

Solution

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

True that. I will mostly be sticking to MHW, METRO, KF2, and RE2 RE and 1080p for a laptop. I want the high refresh for the 144hz for gaming too. Ill just give the SCAR II a shot. Thanks.