1080p gaming on 1024*768 Plasma TV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hello folks!

My topic may seem a little bit old-fashioned but we dont all have that much money to buy the latest full hd tv set, as I do (or don't) :)

I'm thinking about buying a new Panasonic Plasma TV (TX-P42C3E) with a 1024*768 native resolution and I was wondering: Can I play at 1080p with it with my PC or PS3? it is ready or suitable for the upcoming PS4? any other recommedation?

Looking forwards to your answers friends! ;)

Solution
image trailing sounds like ghosting to me. not all lcd panels cause this effect. generally this looks as if the image isnt disappearing right away almost as if its merging with the next image. is this what it looks like?

flickering of images may have to do with how the game is coded and anti-aliasing settings. i noticed this on both a lcdtv and monitor for the same game. it may also be more prevalent when you arent running the game at the monitor or televisions native resolution.

visible light bands mean poor backlight distribution. this was a factor in some ccfl backlit televisions. typically you may see slightly darker and slightly lighter areas but not a clearly defined band. sounds like a bad model to me. again... sounds like ccfl...
i sit 3.5 feet from a 40" tv and 1080p is definitely required. even from a distance as far as 10-12 feet you can see the difference between 1080p and 720p.

i would highly suggest it. of course its your call.

we are just telling you our thoughts on the matter (as you asked us to)

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Ok then! I'll go for a 32" FHD LED TV or 40" FHD LCD TV! Thank you so much for the help, I know a good big electronics store, I'll take my PC and try their TVs there!

One final question: If i'm going for LCD or LCD/LED TVs, do you have any recommendation on panels? what to choose and what to avoid? CCFL, IPS, etc.. Always bumping on those words and the explanations I find on the net are kinda too "elitist" for me :p

well there is "panel type" and then there is "backlight type"

backlight would be "led" or "ccfl".

panel type would be "ips" etcetera...

there really is not a huge difference between led and ccfl so i would go with ccfl for the power savings.

as far as types of panels go... televisions use some different panel designs than lcd monitors so i really cant say what to go for. find something with good color and high viewing angles. i am pretty sure my television is s-ips (just like my good monitor is s-ips) panel type but more often than not the panel type might not be the same as is used for pc monitors which makes comparision hard. the panel type is also harder to find on tvs as it is not listed as frequently as it is for monitors.

are you sure you will lug your whole pc with you to the electronics store? (unless you have a laptop of course)

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Thanks for the explanation! Hehehe you're right I'll try to take something smaller, since I have no laptop, maybe i'll try to borrow one and list a couple of tests to be sure this is THE TV I need (or the PS3 maybe) :) Again, if I choose a 32" 1080p, will I be satisfied with the FHD caracteristic (due to the "small" size of the screen)?

InvalidError

Distinguished

CCFL for power savings? o_O

My 22" LED LCD uses around 20W at max brightness and does not even register on my UPS at minimum - I can hardly feel any temperature increase over ambient anywhere on it at my normal 30% brightness. My older 20" CCFL LCD runs pretty darn hot using around 50W while my newer 24" CCFL LCD runs noticeably cooler using around 40W.

LED seems a whole lot more efficient to me largely thanks to not requiring high-voltage inverters.

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hey! a little comeback for the win :p

So I went to the store and checked some Sony TVs, LED and LCDs and they were all having awful black trailing/smearing/ghosting/howeverthename!

After a little research, I bumped on something about PVA and IPS panels!

My question is: Could it be the source of the problem? why didn't have any problem with my very old LG LED TV? thanks in advance :)

what did you read about pva and ips panels?

i've looked for information on my model in the past and always thought it was s-ips however..

http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-40V3000/en/p/KDL40V3000/BSTOCK

its listed as 10bit and s-ips is only 8bit. i dug a bit further and i have found a few sources claiming it is a s-pva panel (which normally is 8 bit too) but the newer variety which is 10bit.

my computer monitor however (which i have in storage right now) was a $650 20" s-ips 8bit panel from the viewsonic pro lineup.

i suppose this means that i have personally used both pva and ips. personally i've never noticed a thing wrong with them.

-----

were you testing 50hz televisions?

i find it hard to believe that there is a problem with all the televisions.

if i scroll fast enough there is some image chopping on the screen however i have never had any problems in game. to be honest unless i try to actually case the effect i dont see it.

what could be happening is that you are one of the people who can really notice response time. while some people may not have an issue with panel response times there are some people who do notice an issue on all but the fastest monitors.

as a test what i would like for you to do is to test out a 1ms response time monitor down at your local store. these are typically TN panels. granted they are not the best in terms of color or viewing angle but they do have the lowest response times you can get.

50hz should be fine... no need to get 100hz unless you have the hardware to back it up and i'm not sure ps3/ps4 will really support the added benefit of 100hz.

does this ultra low response time reduce the "blur" or "ghosting" that you are seeing?

the absolute best you are going to see as far as how fast the image can be scanned is a 100hz tn panel. the response time is ultra low and the refresh rate (how fast the panel vertically scans and changes the images) is also the highest. as with normal tn though color accuracy and viewing angle are not as good.

as far as ps3 support... this requires HDCP support. i dont know if ps3 can display at 100hz either. if it only displays at 50hz then a 100hz monitor is useless for ps3 use.

blur could also be somewhat from your computer settings. ie from vysnc being on or off, etcetera.

anyways... try out a TN panel or some computer monitors with your pc and see what you think. reply when done.