1080p gaming on 1024*768 Plasma TV?

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hello folks!

My topic may seem a little bit old-fashioned but we dont all have that much money to buy the latest full hd tv set, as I do (or don't) :)

I'm thinking about buying a new Panasonic Plasma TV (TX-P42C3E) with a 1024*768 native resolution and I was wondering: Can I play at 1080p with it with my PC or PS3? it is ready or suitable for the upcoming PS4? any other recommedation?

Looking forwards to your answers friends! ;)

Solution
image trailing sounds like ghosting to me. not all lcd panels cause this effect. generally this looks as if the image isnt disappearing right away almost as if its merging with the next image. is this what it looks like?

flickering of images may have to do with how the game is coded and anti-aliasing settings. i noticed this on both a lcdtv and monitor for the same game. it may also be more prevalent when you arent running the game at the monitor or televisions native resolution.

visible light bands mean poor backlight distribution. this was a factor in some ccfl backlit televisions. typically you may see slightly darker and slightly lighter areas but not a clearly defined band. sounds like a bad model to me. again... sounds like ccfl...

Swordkd

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Do you mean native resolution of 1366 x 768? I don't know that they made a TV that ran at 1024x768. But the answer is no. If the monitor/tv you are playing on doesn't support 1920 x 1080 then you can't play at that resolution. I'd think about just getting a gaming monitor for about 130 dollars that will support 1080p.

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Yes you can play 1080p games on that TV. However they will downsample to 1024x768, So you will not get the detail that you will on a 1080p TV.

If I may ask, how much are you getting that TV for? Considering I've seen 42" TV for under 500 it must be a really good deal.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Check the specs.

Playing 1080p games on a low-resolution screen that only supports 1080i input might not look particularly good: you have an aspect-ratio change, a re-scaling and de-interlacing to deal with, which may add some latency and artifacts.

If you want the best picture quality possible, you should try to get a TV with a native 1080p panel.

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
It is a 1024*768 actually!

I found it at 480, not sure if this a good price!

So do you think I should get a 1080p LED TV? Since I will only use it for gaming and knowing the amount of issues that LCD/LED TVs have with gaming images treating, I don't really know what to do! Full HD Plasma TVs are too expensive for me, and LED TVs are a junk as for gaming! I said "gaming" a lot :p

you can buy a 1080p computer monitor for $100 or a 1080p 32" no-name television for about $300.

if you want 1080p you NEED to buy a 1080p television (or monitor).

the computer will run at the resolution the television suppots (eg 1366x768) and the game will run at that resolution. in the case of ps3 or ps4 the video will be downscaled if the game is ran at 1080p but more than likely the game will want to run in 720p mode instead. not quite sure which but its not going to be 1080p for sure.

LED televisions are bad for gaming? absolute hogwash

i am on a 60hz ccfl backlit lcd television right now and i play games perfectly fine. the only difference with led is the backlighting which doesnt affect a thing.

what you DO have to worry about is 120hz or 240hz (which you DONT want) but at your price range i dont think that is going to be an issue.

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I saw a friend playing on a Samsung 40eh5000 LED TV and the image was awful! You could see the backlighting during dark scenes and in some games moving the camera would "darkens" or "blackens" all the pixels around? Any idea what would that be?

in most cases you WILL be able to see the backlight during dark scenes. black will look like really dark grey. lcd technology requires the backlight to be on in order to see an image. the only lcd televisions where you can get true black (the backlight off) is in high end led lcd televisions with zone led backlighting (arrayed in a grid behind the screen) where zones turn off and on or dim as required.

that part is normal for lcd televisions and monitors. due to the nature of how plasma televisions work this isnt an issue and they have exellent black values.

please do read the sticky manofchalk and i wrote in the perepherals section about monitors and televisions. it lets you know all the details of how they work.

not sure what you mean about the darkening of pixels when you move around. could you be referring to when moving from a light scene (bright image with high backlight) to a dark scene (dark image with low backlight) that you can see the backlight flicker from high to low from high to low when moving between? or when reading white text on a black background after about 20 seconds the backlight switches from medium to really low? if so then this has to do with the individual tv and its settings and may be able to be changed (disabled).

if not, maybe you can describe in a different way what you mean.

i will state again that you do not want 200hz as it could cause problems. there is normally an off switch (game mode) to swap back to 50hz but sometimes it doesnt work and if it doesnt and if you run in 200hz mode games will look like they are lagging.

basically the tv supports 50hz input only and fakes in the frames. this post processing takes time and hence the lag you may see.

here in the usa we use the 60hz/120hz/240hz standard. since you stated 200hz my guess is that you are on the 50hz/100hz/200hz standard so will need a 50hz television if you go with lcd.

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Thank you so much for answering so far, you don't how much you are being helpful my friend!

And what I meant with blackening, I will simply try to explain it with current examples: In Skyrim during the night, when you look/move the camera, the trees and ground become black, literally! It even happens in Far Cry 3 during daylight, everything becomes darker, only when moving the camera or the character, stairs flicker bizarrely, and when browsing he internet (steam interface for example), there is a kind of deep black trailing!

And what I meant with visible backlighting during dark scenes, is REALLY seeing it, with visible light vertical/horizontal light lines spoiling the image!

This is why I am so afraid of LED TVs, so maybe you can confort me with explaining to me the meaning of those issues :) and THANK YOU :)

image trailing sounds like ghosting to me. not all lcd panels cause this effect. generally this looks as if the image isnt disappearing right away almost as if its merging with the next image. is this what it looks like?

flickering of images may have to do with how the game is coded and anti-aliasing settings. i noticed this on both a lcdtv and monitor for the same game. it may also be more prevalent when you arent running the game at the monitor or televisions native resolution.

visible light bands mean poor backlight distribution. this was a factor in some ccfl backlit televisions. typically you may see slightly darker and slightly lighter areas but not a clearly defined band. sounds like a bad model to me. again... sounds like ccfl backlighting not led to me unless you can verify its a ledtv. led backlit televisions are typically edge lit (at least the ones in your price range are) so if anything the edges will be lighter but it shouldnt be very noticible at all.

unless of course it is one of the zone (grid array of leds) led backlight arrays in which case its a possibility but shouldnt be happening unless it was a poor design. all of the tvs of that design i've seen have looked very good (almost as good as plasma).

---

in general i would suggest to NEVER buy a television off the internet without seeing it in person first.

i would suggest to go to a store and see how the television looks

i pretty much only have two major recommendations.

-you must buy 1080p if you want to play at 1080p
-you would want to get a 50hz panel if you go lcd

you can go plasma if you want however i cant tell you how they will work out with games or the pc as i never had one before.

Solution

Zragadouga

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Indeed, this is like two images are merging together, so the image becomes "darker".

How I can find a good 1080p 32inch LED TV without those 100/200hz marketing crap? looks like all recent full hd models have it!

And for my friend's LED TV model, its a Samsung 40eh5000w!

InvalidError

Distinguished

That depends largely on how far away from the screen you plan to sit. I sit at ~3' from my 24" PC LCD and 1200p seems about just right for me - could use 1600p to make text a little bit crisper.

the 50hz televisions are often cheaper models (which is good for you anyways).

go to any real big electronics store and no doubt they have them.

do you really need 1080p? well... you dont need it however 1080p is suggested if you hook your pc up to the tv (and is very nice for ps3/ps4). not having a 720p or 1080p tv means that your images will get distorted so will look consistantly worse than a 720 or 1080p tv when viewing ps3 or ps4 content. or dvd/blueray content on the pc.