1080p vs 4k laptop gaming

IceChaser

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
I want to know anyone's thoughts on 4k gaming on a laptop. I have read that playing games like league of legends at 4k make the text really small and the graphics not as clear. Same goes for Windows in general. I have been looking at 2 laptops both alienware because I plan on buying the graphics amplifier later.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-4k-ultra-hd-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-epic-silver/4550902.p?id=1219765894082&skuId=4550902#

1080p
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-r3-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-epic-silver/1314092682.p?id=mp1314092682&skuId=1314092682#

Solution

Yes and no.

1. 4K desktop (with DPI scaling) will look better for the desktop and most programs.

2. I would however, see if you can find a GSYNC laptop (probably 1080p).

3. Buying the graphics amplifier later?
I assume that means there is a separate unit for a dedicated graphics card that uses a PCIe attachment?

I'm not sure why you would do that with an 970M GPU already. You're tied to the desktop as that's not movable, so unless you plan to do a lot of gaming as a mobile unit I think the BEST plan would get a $500 laptop for your mobile needs and...

Yes and no.

1. 4K desktop (with DPI scaling) will look better for the desktop and most programs.

2. I would however, see if you can find a GSYNC laptop (probably 1080p).

3. Buying the graphics amplifier later?
I assume that means there is a separate unit for a dedicated graphics card that uses a PCIe attachment?

I'm not sure why you would do that with an 970M GPU already. You're tied to the desktop as that's not movable, so unless you plan to do a lot of gaming as a mobile unit I think the BEST plan would get a $500 laptop for your mobile needs and simply build a dedicated gaming desktop.

Add all the prices up (attached GPU box etc) and you're talking well maybe $2300USD or more (depending on dedicated GPU) which means you can get a $500 laptop and $1800 dedicated system.

*and laptop gaming is always limited by the screen quality anyway so I'd still recommend a GSYNC, IPS, 75Hz screen. But then you don't have more than 1080p... not really ideal to play those games on laptop.

Not sure of your exact needs though.

Solution

You simply set the DPI scaling level from the desktop. Roughly 150% for 4K. You'd also should apply a preset zoom level for web browser pages (though you can scale manually by CTRL+Scroll).

I agree gaming at 4K is problematic, but you can choose whatever resolution you want for each game. Also, games like LoL are not nearly as demanding as some others. 2560x1440 may be ideal though. (also how the HUD scales is another issue. some still get too small)

It would be so awesome if they'd provide an inexpensive laptop with a good CPU (say $800) and no dedicated graphics card but was also compatible with the alienware amplifier.

Assuming you wait for Pascal, and get a half decent card to provide a big boost over what you already have with the 970M that's maybe $300 for the amplifier plus $500 for the card.

Probably also want to buy a big monitor for the desktop if you don't have one so I'd throw in another $500 for that too.

I think the idea is cool, but unless you really game a lot on the go I think it's a waste of money.