11 inch gaming laptop?

ilikmn

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Am I the only person who wants an 11.6 inch gaming laptop? Is there even a market for laptops that small? I just think it would be cool to have a tiny, portable laptop for lan parties and such.

Solution

I know the GTX 1060 uses about as much power / generates about as much heat as the GTX 970m. So yeah, pretty hot. I think I read complaints that the 14" Razer Blade 14 overheats with the GTX 970m.

Hello.

At these sizes, a gaming laptop is almost not feasible. Usually you will only have the HD 5500 graphics at best with a Core i5/i7. This is only good for low/medium level gaming.
One such example is the Lenovo Yoga 11, or the HP revolve.

I highly suggest going for a 13 or 14 inch laptop, where lots of gaming laptops from Alienware, MSI, etc are available.

USAFRet

Illustrious

With an 11" screen, not only is the screen small, but so is the rest of it.
With a small case, there is only so much power you can pack into that.

Gaming = more power = more heat.
More power = less battery life.
There is only so much you can pack into a tiny case.

ilikmn

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Out of curiosity, do you think a GTX 1050 TI (the mobile variant when it comes out) would generate too much heat in such a small form factor? Or the GTX 1060? I know that heat isn't entirely based off of wattage, but the GTX 1050 TI TDP (45 watts or so) isn't much more than the GT 650M's from the older Origin Eon-11s. (35-45 watts) Do you think it just really isn't possible at all?

USAFRet

Illustrious

It's not just the GPU.
You need a CPU to match, and then the motherboard to handle it.
Then a larger battery to run it.

Can they squeeze a high performance mobile GPU into an 11" case?
Not so far.

Plus, is there a real market for that, vs a 13" or larger? Probably not. Fingers can't get any smaller, and eyeballs can only see so much in a small screen.

I personally would love this but as dgpus need a lot of room when you are playing the latest games, this may not be possible as of now. I say this as they have finally made mobile gpus that have the same power as the desktop gpus. Now it is up to the laptop manufacturers to figure out a way to use this power efficiently, Also most people don't like using small screens while gaming as it tires out the eyes.

But who know, if mobile apps become success on chomebooks, then windows might copy them.

I know the GTX 1060 uses about as much power / generates about as much heat as the GTX 970m. So yeah, pretty hot. I think I read complaints that the 14" Razer Blade 14 overheats with the GTX 970m.

Solution