11 Technologies We Hope To See At CES 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think saying that you get 4000 pixels instead of 1080 is incorrect; the 4000 or 4K designation refers to the horizontal dimension, while the 1080p refers to the vertical dimension. Don't fall for the confusing labels!

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]PhotonTorpedo[/nom]I think saying that you get 4000 pixels instead of 1080 is incorrect; the 4000 or 4K designation refers to the horizontal dimension, while the 1080p refers to the vertical dimension. Don't fall for the confusing labels![/citation]
True, but I am still looking forward to 2K and 4K entering the market. 1920x1080 is just barely big enough, and is stuch an odd radio for both movies and computers. The super wide aspect of 4k is a better film medium, and wide enough to have a better side by side of 2 browser windows.
Also super stoked about OLED and robots.
The phone designs are really a dime a dozen now, and I would be hard pressed to see any unique phone designs that really differ from the current layout that everybody seems to use. Until phones can replace my netbook I will continue to stick with my old school Nokia brick phone until they pry it from my cold dead hands!

G

It seems to me that the ultrabooks are going to be an accurate answer to the MacBook Air remains to be seen whether they have the style of these. One thing is for sure the price is much lower with the same capabilities. A brand that has always known class creating computers is Asus. I found the analysis to two new books in http://mixandbrowse.tk/ultrabooks-the-new-hype/ that seem to explain well with what we can hope level of equipment.

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]lockhrt999[/nom]I do not want cars with cloudy brains.[/citation]

lolz... thumbs up

bendable phones? they said bendable screens... I don't think IC's and PCB's are there yet...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]pic 10/11 was when Jane shot the ssd! I remember well...(because Jane was holding a huge gun and looked HOT!)[/citation]
Jane always looks hot, the gun was just for show...

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
As others have said, I'm not too keen on the eye of my car being too aware of where I'm going. GPS is fine because the satellites only work one-way: it's up to the receiver in your car to make sense of the signals broadcast by the satellites and figure out where you are. If the car's computers were uploading everything about your driving, it'll be just like the Red-light-camera scam: plenty of people will get speeding tickets, with the money ACTUALLY going to the company owning said hardware, not the local police precinct.

Also, those bezel-less OLED screens are very, very nice. That's a part of the future I definitely want to sign up for. They should make some 21-24" 1080p ones suitable as PC monitors for EyeFinity.
[citation][nom]PhotonTorpedo[/nom]I think saying that you get 4000 pixels instead of 1080 is incorrect; the 4000 or 4K designation refers to the horizontal dimension, while the 1080p refers to the vertical dimension. Don't fall for the confusing labels![/citation]
That is correct, though as caedenv said, it's still something to look forward to. While "4K" isn't an actual resolution so much as a range, even the smallest (and most likely-looking) resolution for it, 3840x2160 (aka "2160p") is still exactly four times the pixel count (~8.3 MP) of 1080p, which makes it a much bigger jump than from 720p to 1080p. (x2.25)

[citation][nom]papaswedine[/nom]lolz... thumbs upbendable phones? they said bendable screens... I don't think IC's and PCB's are there yet...[/citation]
PCBs are there already, actually... At least, I know, for up to two layers or so. That's what's typically used as internal connectors in laptops, phones and tablets, along with other portable electronics. They tend to go with a clear plastic rather than a familiar opaque epoxy as the substrate.

As for ICs... That's another story, true. And you can't really flex the board under existing designs too much, at least those using the common (cheap and effective) BGA mount: it's board flexing (due to heat) under the BGA-mounted GPU that caused the vast majority of the Xbox 360's infamous "red rings of death."

mikeyw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Bendable touchscreen? Is that a joke? Why not invent an invisible keyboard? Half of these new gadgets are more useless than existing technology, but nobody seems to realise; if it's "new", it must be good!

virthddman

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
High resolution screens nice! Bendable, not sure.

Access your home PC from your Android device by using the 2X client App from
http://www.2x.com
also has client for iOS. Voted 20th overall best Android App!

Status
Not open for further replies.