11-year-old Girl Wins $20K from AT&T for Road Safety App

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
This or put wifi on the car ecu and hack into it and drop the speed down until car turns off, then it messages your phone saying when you power down your phone, car will restart. Don't text and drive, whatever your texting is not worth the potentially devastating repercussions.

Ninjamonkeh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
How would the program know if your the driver or a passenger. Also What if your friends are all Dicks and alert you at 3am while your asleep.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
"a barking noise that won't stop until the alert has been acknowledged and silenced"
uhh, so if your friend is an asshole, you will have to get the phone out of your pocket and read the message and press a button before it stops barking? Sound like they're making the problem worse.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Or someone could be in a really bad mood and attempts to shut the alarm off while driving at 70 mph on the highway and having to unlock the phone plus turning off the alarm causes the driver to not paid attention for a considerable amount of time, thus causing a car accident.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Didn't they consider that the persistent barking alarm will be a distraction to the driver and turning it off will cause the driver to loose focus while driving.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
"a member of the pack can send them a warning that arrives in the form of a barking noise that won't stop until the alert has been acknowledged and silenced."

So you basically have to operate the phone while driving? Also the possibility of your pack being dicks and sending bark messages to cock block you or something else lol.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
There's better ways of doing this.

If GPS &| Accelerometer == > 20mph;
And If Facial recognition detects bottom of steering wheel && Drivers door(to right from camera point of view);
Then disable texting;
End If;

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
"a barking noise that won't stop until the alert has been acknowledged and silenced"
So to discourage distracted driving caused by phone use you make an app that distracts the driver until they respond to it and silence it? Pretty much just calling the person while they are driving to tell them to stop texting and driving, yeah that makes sense. I wonder what the other ideas were, a text message to tell you to stop texting but you will keeping getting texted until you reply?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]This or put wifi on the car ecu and hack into it and drop the speed down until car turns off, then it messages your phone saying when you power down your phone, car will restart. Don't text and drive, whatever your texting is not worth the potentially devastating repercussions.[/citation]

This causes safety concerns of its own. If you turn off the car while it's still moving then the driver will have degraded steering control and loss of braking power..... This could cause and accident on its own.

G

The best idea is to allow one's vehicle to rape them. The car will turn on the hazard lights, drive onto the side of the road (or the forest if you live in the mountains) and have its way with you. You'll never text again after that!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I still don't see what the big deal is about texting and driving....

Click the microphone button (I made mine an 8x8 icon to fill 3/4 of my primary home screen) say "text to victoria" small pause "if you make my phone bark one more time I'm going to feed you to your three dogs when I get home." This has been built into android forever. For iSheep, yes Siri allows you to do this (now) if your using an iOS 6 device.

All joking aside though, to think that your phone would bark at you nonstop until you disabled it would be as much or more of a distraction than sending the text itself as users are digging through their phones menu's to try to stop the barking, all while driving. If they aren't intelligent enough to pull over to use the phone for texting, why would they start doing it for for a barking phone?

I still say a Faraday cage built into the automobile is the only way to go.

G

most stupid meaningless app I ever heard of. Here is a tip dont invest your money in this

thefizzle656

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
As others have said it sounds like the distraction from the noise and the need to fumble around to turn it off etc. would be just as dangerous as texting/talking while driving.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I think my last post got deleted.

But my point was that if this was the winner, imagine all the other apps that didn't win.
There's a lot of contests where often people couldn't be bothered to enter or produce something good....

Contest fail....

G

.. How bad is this idea.. How much worse are the other 119 contestants ideas?!

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I think the app is meant to annoy the hell out of you to break the habit. If it is complex to turn the alarm off, it will be hard to do while driving, thus forcing you to stop and turn it off.

In the end, it will be more of a pain to txt while driving. Us human pick up some terrible habits out of convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.