$12.5K SafeCell App for iOS Most Expensive Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
So wait, you pay for the $12,500 THEN get charged an additional fee?

You're telling me, they can't add that fee into the $12,500 price tag?

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
IMO, this is a very fair price for what they've put together. Private mobile phone systems for aircraft are insane expensive. And when you think about it, they've probably got quite a bit invested. Probably similar to what other large software programs have, except instead of a user base of a few hundred thousand that others would see with the same budget, they'll only have a few thousand. It's priced accordingly.

Maybe not useful for you, but you're looking at it entirely wrong. Perhaps you have a 401k that's partially invested in a company that picks this technology up. I'm sure with that in mind that you'd be more than happy to hear that they're able to cut costs on on board cellphone networks by a few hundred thousand dollars per plane.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
OK now whey not use a Cellphone normally, Im a pilot and I can tell you it does not interfere with the instruments, the reason why you cant use cellphones on planes is because if you are talking and you go out of your providers Call area the call keeps going and you dont have to pay for it, Try it, I flew from australia to Tokyo about 5 months ago and NEVER got charged for the call

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]gurboura[/nom]So wait, you pay for the $12,500 THEN get charged an additional fee? You're telling me, they can't add that fee into the $12,500 price tag?[/citation]

Considering how expensive satellite phone services are..... No.

It costs money to run the sat systems, even if they have to be robust enough to stay up for a number of years without sending an AT&T truck into Low orbit.

Though if I was a fortune 500 executive, I might think this a steal instead of spending half a million. I'd still be willing to pay for my phone calls.

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I don't see where it deserves a $12,500 when all it uses is Bluetooth?

As part of the launch program on orders placed before the 30th January 2011 we will include a brand new mobile phone of choice, a top of the line noise cancelling headset and hands free kit” Ron Said

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Seems like a good high tech current solution to a traditionally expensive legacy hardware based solution!

I'm sure many aircraft owners will be happy to pay for this.

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]Considering how expensive satellite phone services are..... No. It costs money to run the sat systems, even if they have to be robust enough to stay up for a number of years without sending an AT&T truck into Low orbit.Though if I was a fortune 500 executive, I might think this a steal instead of spending half a million. I'd still be willing to pay for my phone calls.[/citation]
I was talking about the additional fee for the iPhone.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]gurboura[/nom]I was talking about the additional fee for the iPhone.[/citation]

Considering Apple is only Reselling the app, they're not the people who you're buying the app from. They're just a "Storefront".

So the people who you're buying the App from aren't going to suddenly pay your Iphone bill.

Its like asking Sears to pay your gas bill because they sold you a $5000 Gas range stove .

YardstickWHACK

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]gurboura[/nom]I don't see where it deserves a $12,500 when all it uses is Bluetooth?[/citation]
Then you should take an economics class. Supply and demand. If the competition is selling for almost 30 times your price, it will sell, until someone else makes one and sells it for less. You do have to pay your programmers though and someone had to figure out how to tap in to the system. Innovation and efficiency should be rewarded in order to encourage it.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]YardstickWHACK[/nom]Then you should take an economics class. Supply and demand. If the competition is selling for almost 30 times your price, it will sell, until someone else makes one and sells it for less. You do have to pay your programmers though and someone had to figure out how to tap in to the system. Innovation and efficiency should be rewarded in order to encourage it.[/citation]

The licensing fees alone to talk to Sat Phone systems are likely pretty pricey.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
if the only market that has a use for this is people that own a private jet, i guess they can charge whatever they want for the app for their i-toy-phone. Also, WTF is that guy in that pic doing holding a brick to his head?? You have to admit, you look pretty stupid talking into that big ass thing!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Compared to many things in the aviation industry, this is cheap.
M father works at a airport, and to replace the on board navigation computer in his employer's private jet, it cost $40,000. It was a Pentium 3 which could dual boot to Windows XP and the navigation OS, and this was 2 years ago.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]OK now whey not use a Cellphone normally, Im a pilot and I can tell you it does not interfere with the instruments, the reason why you cant use cellphones on planes is because if you are talking and you go out of your providers Call area the call keeps going and you dont have to pay for it, Try it, I flew from australia to Tokyo about 5 months ago and NEVER got charged for the call[/citation]
You should know that cell phone coverage vanishes as soon as you are a few thousand feets higher than the terrain. Your call will also be dropped if you move to another country (requires your phone to register to another provider when changing area).
And for most pilots, the VHF radio is still a useful instrument that behaves very badly when you press the PTT button in the cockpit while in close proximity of a cell phone struggling to find his network. ATC's don't like that annoying sound in the transmissions either and they will tell you.
I'll never climb in an aircraft with you as a pilot !

Status
Not open for further replies.