12 year old boy wants high-end PC

James_410

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
My 12 year old son wants a Surface. He already has a Surface 3, but it is not "powerful enough" for him. He's not lying; he programs in Visual Studio and uses Creative Cloud a lot. He also knows A LOT about computers, much more than me. He specifically said he wants a Microsoft-manufactured computer, which means a Surface. He is highly against other OEM's. Also, my son takes notes using OneNote currently and wants a computer with a pen. He needs a new computer even though his current Surface is only a year old because it runs very slow and it is only good for web browsing and drawing. I am debating on whether to get a Surface Pro 4, Book, or Book with Performance Base. He definitely doesn't need a Studio. My price range is $1,600. Thank you!

Solution
If your son knows a lot about computers he should also consider a desktop PC unless it absolutely has to be portable.

With a desktop PC he would be able to upgrade it's key components in the future as required, instead of having to replace it entirely if it was a laptop.

He could buy or build a high-performance PC & keep his existing Surface for when he's on the move.

Just food for thought may be?

DSzymborski

Distinguished
Picking the Surface Pro 4 with the i7 is right at $1600, so that's likely the best choice. The Surface Book with the i7 would be better, but that goes a bit over budget. A bit weird that he's that insistent on MS only - seems a bit of a waste to get a second tablet/laptop, when a desktop that crushes either can be had at the same price, but whatever.

Mikeadamwood

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
If his Surface 3 is now not powerful enough so now your thinking of Surface 4, maybe it makes sense to invest in the Surface Studio they announced this week? It will future proof the next few years looking at the specs.

If your son knows a lot about computers he should also consider a desktop PC unless it absolutely has to be portable.

With a desktop PC he would be able to upgrade it's key components in the future as required, instead of having to replace it entirely if it was a laptop.

He could buy or build a high-performance PC & keep his existing Surface for when he's on the move.

Just food for thought may be?

Solution

James_410

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Thank you very much! I will consider this.