13" Macbook Pro 2016 (No Touch Bar) vs Mackbook Pro 2015 ~ HELP!

AlexMarchant

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hello,

I am in the process of trying to decide whether to buy the new Macbook Pro 2016 (No Touchbar) or the old MacBook Pro 2015, however, I feel I don't have the full grasp of the hardware side of things to make an informed choice. Furthermore, every website I have been on has not really answered my questions, so I hope I can gain some knowledge to be able to make the right choice for me.

Currently, I am studying Computer Science at A-Level and by the end of this academic year, I hope to move into an apprenticeship with a company in the industry.

Disclaimer: (Macbook Pro is abbreviated as MCP in this post to save repetition and time)

So, first things first; I want to buy a new laptop as I have a 3/4-year-old Hp that just isn't doing the job I require it to do anymore. Some of the noted specs of this are:

Old Pc Specs
System Model HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Processor - AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2.1 GHz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
RAM - 8.00 GB
Virtual Memory - 12.3 GB

One of the notable things is the graphics card and processor are integrated, I don't know whether this is the same for the MCP's or not.

Now, moving on to the MCP topic, I mentioned my current PC so that I have something to make a comparison with.

What I want to do with the MCP:
I have developed an interest in app development and want to use the apple platform to go forward with this (I have an IPhone 5 and currently I don't have a USB-C adapter, so I would need to buy one to be able to place the app on my phone)
I want to use it to code in various different language and IDE's such as Visual Studio
Play some games, such as League of Legends, H1Z1, CSGO and so on
Use it in day to day life

All in all, I want to make this my primary laptop, I will still keep my old one, however, this gives an idea of the tasks I want the computer to be able to handle.

The specs of each of the Macbook Pros are:
2015 MCP
2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based SSD1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Two Thunderbolt 2 ports

2016 MCP
2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based SSD1
Intel Iris Graphics 540
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

So, bearing in mind what I want to do with the laptop, these are my questions regarding the specs:

- Is the 2.0 GHz processor on the 2016 model significantly slower than the 2.7GHz on the 2015 model?

- Following the previous question, with regards to coding would it be much slower to compile large chunks of code, and if I were to play games would I see a significant difference in speed?

- Why is the Turbo Boost for each processor the same even though the 2015 model has a higher base rate?

- What is the difference in the graphics cards, which one is better and is it integrated on the PC?

- With regards to gaming, does the graphics card matter more or the processor?

Focusing on the MCP 2016 model, the one I would get only has 2 USB-C ports. Currently, I do not own an adapter so none of my peripherals such as my monitor, keyboard or phone would be able to connect to it.

- If I were to get this model, would USB-C ports be annoying in day to day life when using the MCP on the go or would it only be annoying trying to use it more as a desktop at home?

- How long do you think it will take to standardise USB-C

- Is USB-C even that big of a deal breaker when it comes to it from those who have the newest MCP now?

Many people have told me I should buy the 2015 one as they like the MagSafe, the keyboard, apparently, it's much faster...? However for me, I prefer the new keyboard, MagSafe isn't a big deal for me. Furthermore, currently, I can get the 2016 MCP cheaper than the 2015 one so the price isn't part of the problem. I much prefer the look and feel of the 2016 model but I just don't know about the USB Ports and the hardware of the PC, so hopefully you guys can shed some light on that.

Overall, firstly, thank you for reading this far down the thread, I know it's long but I need to fill in the gaps for me to make the decision, and secondly, thank you in advance for the help!

Summary of my questions:
- Does the Macbook Pro have integrated graphics card

- Is the 2.0 GHz processor on the 2016 model significantly slower than the 2.7GHz on the 2015?

- Following the previous question, with regards to coding would it be much slower to compile large chunks of code, and if I were to play games would I see a significant difference in speed?

- Why is the Turbo Boost for each processor the same even though the 2015 model has a higher base rate?

- What is the difference in the graphics cards, which one is better and is it integrated on the pc?

- With regards to gaming, does the graphics card matter more or the processor?

- If I were to get this model, would USB-C ports be annoying in day to day life when using the MCP on the go or would it only be annoying trying to use it more as a desktop at home?

- How long do you think it will take to standardise USB-C

- Is USB-C even that big of a deal breaker when it comes to it from those who have the newest MCP?

Solution
Is this the 13 inch mcb? If so then they don't have a discrete gpu only integrated. They are not good for games and good for learning to make apps for ios. Also the cpus and gpus will have a huge improvement in speed in the new one.

If this is the 15 inch version then the speed difference is not so much in the graphics. The cpu will be better for power and battery life. In these there is an optional gpu.

I personally would not use the 15 inch version as there are many laptops in the windows world that can do the same job. Also you will be able to play games a lot better.

As for usb c I would prefer to have the 2015 versions as I don't like dongles as the whole point of a professional laptop is to make it easier for the user to get...

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
1. playing games is absolutely no on any of them. unless mineswiper is your thing.
2. from codding/compiling perspective, they are both more than enough.
3. The abbreviate for Macbook Pro is MBPr (r for retina).
4. I have the MBPr 13" 2015 and it's a decent working laptop if you must have apple machine (iOS/OS X development) - otherwise I'd use something else (with linux). I would not pay my own money on crapple products - overpriced shinny toys.
5. 2016 models lacks any upgrade path - what you order is what you get until it dies (ram, cpu, storage).
6. 2016 has only USB-C connectors. very inconvenient.

Is this the 13 inch mcb? If so then they don't have a discrete gpu only integrated. They are not good for games and good for learning to make apps for ios. Also the cpus and gpus will have a huge improvement in speed in the new one.

If this is the 15 inch version then the speed difference is not so much in the graphics. The cpu will be better for power and battery life. In these there is an optional gpu.

I personally would not use the 15 inch version as there are many laptops in the windows world that can do the same job. Also you will be able to play games a lot better.

As for usb c I would prefer to have the 2015 versions as I don't like dongles as the whole point of a professional laptop is to make it easier for the user to get work done rather than harder. I don't know how long it will take to standardise but more laptops are beginning to have this port from 2016 onwards.

Solution