$1300 Gaming Laptop in Australia

vil_iam1

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
Hi there guys!
I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any decent gaming laptops for $1300 in Australia give or take a bit? I know desktops are a lot better than laptops at gaming, however I will be going to university in a few weeks and I need a decent laptop for my course (computer science i.e. programming). That being said, I need a laptop that can perform (as I plan to do moderate intensity programs) but I also would like to do some decent gaming on it (high settings on Counter Strike GO over 60fps). I don't care about looks as such on the computer (though its a bonus), but I do care a bit about weight and battery life. Anyone have any ideas for me? Someone recommended the Lenovo Y50 to me but in Australia its really expensive (like over $2000). Please help it would mean the world to me :)

Solution
I feel you buddy, personally I got a laptop halfway through firstyear for both gaming and uni. It was good the one word of advice is that you need to be really disciplined to have a laptop with games on it when trying to do uni. I just finished a degree in Science and boy did games drag my gpa down. So be warned but most importantly have fun.

Quick search gave me this from pc case gear
MSI Gaming GE60 Apache $1249
"The MSI GE60 Gaming Notebook features an Intel Core i7 4710HQ processor, 8GB DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB graphics, 1TB 7200RPM hard drive, 15.6in full HD 1920x1080 anti glare, WiFi AC, Bluetooth 4.0, Gigabit LAN, 6 cell battery and Windows 8.1. Backed by a 2 year MSI warranty."

4400mAh battery
bit heavy 2.4kg...

Drseevee

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
I feel you buddy, personally I got a laptop halfway through firstyear for both gaming and uni. It was good the one word of advice is that you need to be really disciplined to have a laptop with games on it when trying to do uni. I just finished a degree in Science and boy did games drag my gpa down. So be warned but most importantly have fun.

Quick search gave me this from pc case gear
MSI Gaming GE60 Apache $1249
"The MSI GE60 Gaming Notebook features an Intel Core i7 4710HQ processor, 8GB DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB graphics, 1TB 7200RPM hard drive, 15.6in full HD 1920x1080 anti glare, WiFi AC, Bluetooth 4.0, Gigabit LAN, 6 cell battery and Windows 8.1. Backed by a 2 year MSI warranty."

4400mAh battery
bit heavy 2.4kg but its a start?
find a model then use staticice, google it, to compare prices
UTS ftw

Solution

vil_iam1

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
Thank you both for your answers :) yes I completely agree with you that it would take a lot of discipline but I think I'm capable xD hopefully
Sorry for replying late btw, I've actually been researching a bit and I am impressed with the MSI GE60-2PL660AU a lot because of its high performance and decent portability. From what I can gather the only downsides to it is that its battery life is kinda low (expected for a gaming laptop though, was your laptop able to survive the day of uni?), it heats up quite a bit (a worry that it might burn out and I just lost $1300) and it has a crap track pad (which isn't as much a problem for me since I've dealt with some crappy track pads, and Kong Computers Australia offers it with a free Razer Death Adder Gaming mouse or a bag AND free shipping). Thanks so much for the advice guys !