15" gaming laptop... any real choices?

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Looking for a good 15" gaming laptop... Sager NP8662 seems to be the best/only hit. Anyone want to give props to MSI or any other companies out there? I haven't found much in the same quality range (Clevo base is a plus)...

And if the 8662 is a taker, does anybody have an opinion on buying from XoticPC as opposed to getting a computer right off Sager's website? The minimal Warranty extension is the only difference (same price).

--

Budget: <= 2500 USD
Purpose: Desktop Replacement = dedicated graphics card
Uses: current and future RTS's (Starcraft 2), hobby photo manipulation, general media
Length of use: as long as possible. Once the games surpass it, I still want to be able to use it. Upgradability is a definite factor.

Monitor: 15.4" 1680x or 1920x
HDD: 500GB preferably, which makes 5200rpm the only choice... right?
RAM: >=4GB, DDR3 preferable
CPU: Intel, >= 2.66GHz (25W preferable)

Battery Life: >=2hrs, the longer the better

Vendors: Any reputable website or store

Other: Fan noise is a factor; I don't want this thing to levitate or turn my desk into a giant gyroscope.

Where:
USA

I appreciate the help!

Dewskerz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I've been reading some reviews for the MSI rigs, they don't like how floppy the machine feels, and also the keyboard is cramped and arranged poorly, making typing very difficult and frustrating. If you're interested in making the computer last for some time, or want to do anything more then gaming, I would not recommend MSI.

I have not done a ton of research on Sager, they can be slightly more difficult to find information about, from the little time i have put into it, but i can't really find anything bad written about their laptops. And when it comes to customer service, people have less bad things to say about them then Dell or HP (but every company naturally has terrible reviews for some weird reason, lol).

I'm trying to find a good, reliable, versatile, and portable gaming rig aswell. If my budget was higher like yours I would get an Alienware Area-51 m15x, those laptops are gorgeous in every way. But if you don't mind getting a 16 incher, HP has recently released upgrades for their video cards. Their Pavilion DV6T has a very modest 1gb ATI radeon 4650, and for signifigantly less then the alienware. From the durability, price, and reliability standpoint, I'm probably going to go with that HP, but my budget is 1,500; if it was 2,500 like yours, i'd get an alienware no question.

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Thanks, but I'll pass on the alienware. Checking out the specs finds it rather lacking and absurdly overpriced.

Sager is a solid company, been around for ages and the specific notebook I'm looking at is built on a Clevo platform; it's got my trust :)

The HP HDX16t seems decent, for the price it's really solid. I totally dig the sound system on it :p HP bloatware sucks anyhow...
But the video card and DDR2 RAM fall short of the Sager... seems like it's still top dog for me.

Thanks dewskerz, good luck in your hunt.

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
dewskerz:
BTW, the Sager NP8662 can definitely fit in your price range; mess around with the specs and I'm sure you'll find something that works. Check out the NP2096 too.

Comments, anyone else??

Having owned a Sager laptop, I would recommend them. I never had to deal with customer service, but the NP5760 I bought is rock solid so that's probably why. As far as 15'' gaming systems, I don't think you will find a better product out there. Honestly, I would just purchase direct from Sager (what I did). I've heard some iffy things about xotic and if there is no price difference, then what's it matter.

doormouse

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
lostandwandering:
Rock on, thanks for the feedback. Sager for the win!

Anyone else deal with Xotic? I have heard mixed reviews also....

Dewskerz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
By the time I'm ready to purchase mine (summer.. i know.. i;m being obcessive...) the np8662 might be a very good option for me. right now they're on pre orders, so by the time this summer hits they should have the price lower, getting ready for the next upgrade.

Congratz on your win. and i pray it be a loyal best friend for many years to come.

maldinilovegame

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Everything is from official website. Coz I found no website do such comparing.

Every person judge by themselves. If you don't like it, you can leave it or give specific reasons or give better suggestions.

frozenlead

Distinguished

Sure, but in this case, the numbers are just wrong..
If I'm searching for a notebook for less money, I'd want to see all vendors, not just a few. Only Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo (when was the last time anyone ever recommended those for gaming?), and Acer are on there. No Asus, MSI, Sager? Sure, Sager isn't exactly mainstream (and if you want a cheap but powerful notebook, who cares what's mainstream!), but Asus and MSI are well known for cheap, high performance notebooks. (Asus especially with their BA dual 4870 models) The notebooks on the site have GPUs like the 8800GTX, the 9800GTX, and dual 8700's, which are all actually quite outdated (though they'll still give a punch, they won't be the best for the money, in general). I only saw one notebook there that, if, given the position, I would actually buy, and I still didn't like the idea of it.

maldinilovegame

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Thank you for giving suggestions !

The website is just trying to make suggestions and but it's you who make the decisions.

Not all people are extrem gamers like you and some will care about the brand, service or other issues. For me, I'm a gamer but I bought a HP for its fancy looking and quality. I know I'm a student more than just a gamer and most people are just like me.

BTW, the website www.laptopforgames.com is updated and it does includes what you want now, MSI, ASUS and more ....

collectedsoul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hi

Came across this thread as I was looking for reviews on the sager 8662. I too think this is the only option for a 15" gaming laptop. Just wondering if I can hook this up to a 23-24" monitor...is that possible?

The laptop has both HDMI and DVI outputs, so yep.

kontol

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009

SAGERNP8662 is the most powerful 15" laptop in the world right now, cuz it has the Geforce260m (the second fastest single GPU, just below the 280m)