15 Programs That Should be on Any New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GIMP is another very popular, powerful and free photo editing alternative.

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
you would really encourage some one to use iTunes? it is the worst pice of software ever made i advise people to avoid more than the palgue

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Don't care about tweetdeck, etc. However, when setting up a PC, instead of digging through all those (and more,) I can recommend going to ninite.com. Pick from a bunch of programs - including skype, chrome, opera, most of those mentioned here and more. Get a custom installer. Download, run, come back a few minutes later - done.

Yeah, you can do it yourself by going to each site, but hey, one stop shopping, as it were. (And no unwanted addons.)

(Of course, if your'e running the Win8 preview, you then spend the next 20 minutes deleting the uninstallers, readmes, etc - all the stuff formerly hidden by start menu folders - from the metro start screen, but that's a Win8 issue.)

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
In our most recent comparison of free anti-virus software
Link please? I'd love to know if Avast! was any better than say, Comodo, at preventing and detecting viruses vs. just having a prettier/more friendly UI.

G

after clean install, update my OS to latest patch..latest hardware driver for best performance, directx runtime and then AV, MsOffice, firefox, Klite codec, picasa, .._ basic Pc needs

G

Skydrive instead of Dropbox. Do not forget about K-lite codecs pack.

G

Wrong! First thing you should install is

Adobe Flash

Net Framework 4.0

Latest drivers

firefox?

then whatever u want

catchercradle

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Good to see that quite a few of the featured pieces of software will and do run on my computer which has been an M$ free zone for twelve years now.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
"So no matter how many online pseudonyms you maintain, this Adobe Air-bas"... next!

And yeah, iTunes but no 7-zip, GIMP, pdf-reader, (uTorrent,) LibreOffice? And why no love for Opera?

Status
Not open for further replies.