16 gauge speaker wire

sallyc062

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
When I sripped the "coating" off the 16 gauge speaker wire, one side has silver wire in it and the other side has gold wire. Which is positive, the silver or the gold?

Solution
Consistency.
On all of my audio systems, since the mid 70's, I've followed this simple setup:

The White or Black terminal gets the silver wire, or the insulation with the white stripe
The Red terminal gets the copper/gold colored wire, or 'the other one'.

There is no pos/neg in the actual wire...just as long as you are consistent.

(and interestingly, a couple of the actual wires I have hooked up to my current 5.1 system are the same actual speaker wires from the 70's...:pt1cable: )

kanewolf

Judicious
It doesn't really matter. By convention the light colored wire is usually black. BUT as long as you are consistent in your usage, it doesn't matter if you ALWAYS use silver for black terminals or for red terminals. It just matters that you are consistent.

sallyc062

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017

USAFRet

Illustrious
Consistency.
On all of my audio systems, since the mid 70's, I've followed this simple setup:

The White or Black terminal gets the silver wire, or the insulation with the white stripe
The Red terminal gets the copper/gold colored wire, or 'the other one'.

There is no pos/neg in the actual wire...just as long as you are consistent.

(and interestingly, a couple of the actual wires I have hooked up to my current 5.1 system are the same actual speaker wires from the 70's...:pt1cable: )

Solution

dudio

Admirable
It's funny.. I've always used the silver or striped jacket as the positive (red) terminal, and the regular copper as the negative (black) connection. You guys had me thinking I was weird, until I thought of home electrical where the white jacket/silver wire goes to the light connection and the black/brass goes to the black...