18" Gaming laptop

venkat3056

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hi,
I am interested in buying an 18" laptop.
My budget is $4000-$4200 (including tax)

I want the below specifications:
Intel Core i7-4930MX (Overclocked up to 4.3GHz) w/8M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
32GB (4x8GB) RAM
128GB mSATA III Solid-State Drive (for OS)
750GB 7200 RPM (data storage)
1 TB SSD
DUAL nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 256bit w/4.0GB GDDR5 in SLi
Built-in Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202
Win-8 Pro

My configuration in Alienware.com/Powernotebooks.com runs upwards of $5000 (excluding tax). I couldn't try XoticPC as they do not have Alienware 18.

My questions are:
1) Is there any reseller offering Alienware at better prices?
2) Similar configuration in Mythlogic is resulting in $4800, which is also exceeding my budget
3) Are there laptops from other companies which have good build quality and reliability as Alienware
4) Going back to Intel Core i7-4900 from Intel Core i7-4930MX reduces price by about $500-700. Does this CPU limit the SLI Graphic card's performance.
5) I will be leaving US in another year. So, would want to buy something which has International warranty. I know Dell covers it, but what if i go with a reseller?

Solution
No dell owns Alienware

2) Similar configuration in Mythlogic is resulting in $4800, which is also exceeding my budget

3) Are there laptops from other companies which have good build quality and reliability as Alienware
MSI has their line of gaming laptops, I have a gt60-2OD and plays everything I want to right now.

4) Going back to Intel Core i7-4900 from Intel Core i7-4930MX reduces price by about $500-700. Does this CPU limit the SLI Graphic card's performance.
If your set on the alienware drop to the i7-4900 and 16gb of ram... for gaming that is more then what you need. an i5 and 8gigs is enough

5) I will be leaving US in another year...

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
No dell owns Alienware

MSI has their line of gaming laptops, I have a gt60-2OD and plays everything I want to right now.

If your set on the alienware drop to the i7-4900 and 16gb of ram... for gaming that is more then what you need. an i5 and 8gigs is enough

5) I will be leaving US in another year. So, would want to buy something which has International warranty. I know Dell covers it, but what if i go with a reseller?
Are you moving out of the US? If you are and still know someone in the US you can always ship them the laptop and then have them send it in for warranty work. Or call the manufacture of the laptop and see if they have a place you can send the laptop to in the country your going to. If they don't and that's a concern the move on to another brand.

Solution

venkat3056

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

<< I thought of MSI but they only have a single fan for both GPU and CPU which is not ideal imho. You can run the fan faster via Turbo but why would you kill your own hardware >>

Anyone knows other brands which offer a better deal

TRENDING THREADS