$199 ViewPad Ready for Pre-Orders on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hopefully the recent influx of inexpensive 7-inch tablets also drives price down on 10-inch tablets. If not directly from them being so inexpensive, then indirectly from decreasing some of the demand for 10-inch for folks who want a 7-inch.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]I just hope it doesn't have a crappy resistive touchscreen.[/citation]
It's multi-touch resistive screen.

G

"but the online retailer will gladly take your money regardless."

I didn't think Amazon made any charges to you until they actually shipped the item....

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Why does the Viewpad get Gingerbread and the g-Tablet is stuck on Froyo? No love for us g-tab owners from Viewsonic, who basically abandoned the g-tab as soon as they released it. :(

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Why not get a Hannspree Hannspad for about £159 (in the UK)? 10.1 capacitive; dual core 1.0GHz; Tegra 2; 16GB storage....

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Nick_C[/nom]Why not get a Hannspree Hannspad for about £159 (in the UK)? 10.1 capacitive; dual core 1.0GHz; Tegra 2; 16GB storage....[/citation]

How is the build quality? I bought once a cool looking mp3 player from a noname company and it wasn't very cheap too. While it was packed with features it just didn't last very long. Build quality was... pfrrrrrt!

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Nick_C[/nom]Why not get a Hannspree Hannspad for about £159 (in the UK)? 10.1 capacitive; dual core 1.0GHz; Tegra 2; 16GB storage....[/citation]

Isn't the Hannspad basically the same thing as the g-Tablet, with a few minor differences? And isn't it at the mercy of the devs, too, because it doesn't officially support anything but Froyo?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I still don't have a reason to buy one of these things...
I don't read books.
I have a desktop.
3 laptops...

I can browse the net on my phone, playstation 3, and any of my computers.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Ehh, the viewpad is nice and all, but I'm going to hold out for Lenovo's $199 tablet because it has a capacitive screen.

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
So, this thing is obsolete already....and it's not even available yet.

This may be more of a hit at a $79 or $99 price point, but for $200, it is just another tablet failure.

Consider the following:

- 1 GHz single core processor
- Resistive touch screen
- Only 512MB RAM
- 4GB on-board storage
- Relatively poor screen resolution

About the only benefit I see going for it is the mini-HDMI port. The problem is that the CPU will be overwhelmed if you are trying to play 1080p encoded video.

Why even bother producing a tablet such as this? For $100 more, you can get something much better, and for $100 less, you can get something comparable from Colby and other second tier manufacturers. Something needs to be corrected, pricing or specs...pick one.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I still don't have a reason to buy one of these things...I don't read books.I have a desktop.3 laptops...I can browse the net on my phone, playstation 3, and any of my computers.[/citation]
Do you show up at boat shows and tell people how you don't need a boat?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]goodsyntax[/nom]So, this thing is obsolete already....and it's not even available yet.This may be more of a hit at a $79 or $99 price point, but for $200, it is just another tablet failure.Consider the following: - 1 GHz single core processor - Resistive touch screen - Only 512MB RAM - 4GB on-board storage - Relatively poor screen resolutionAbout the only benefit I see going for it is the mini-HDMI port. The problem is that the CPU will be overwhelmed if you are trying to play 1080p encoded video.Why even bother producing a tablet such as this? For $100 more, you can get something much better, and for $100 less, you can get something comparable from Colby and other second tier manufacturers. Something needs to be corrected, pricing or specs...pick one.[/citation]

all tablets are inferior. all they are for is surfing the net and the playing the latest paper toss game

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]goodsyntax[/nom]Why even bother producing a tablet such as this? For $100 more, you can get something much better, and for $100 less, you can get something comparable from Colby and other second tier manufacturers. Something needs to be corrected, pricing or specs...pick one.[/citation]How about some links to all these same-spec devices that are $100 cheaper? You get what you pay for, more or less. A $300 (50% more expensive) tablet is going to give you a lot more hardware, but it might be out of impulse buy range.

Just like a $600 laptop is generally going to have a lot more punch than an equivalent (same size, etc) $400 laptop. Yet I'll bet a lot of retailers and etailers sell quite a few of the cheaper laptops when many consumers are only looking for something for web browsing, email, facepalmbook, and youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.