Solved! 2.0 setup on a 7.2 receiver (no bass)

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I did look for an existing thread on this, as I thought it would be a more common issue, but didn't see anything specific.

I am a fan of Yamaha receivers and now have 3 in operation. My theater is a 5.1 and sounds great. My garage has a more basic 2.0 A/B setup for inside and outside of the garage. I just acquired an older 7.2 Yamaha RX-V665 receiver. It's a few years old, but otherwise it's a great receiver in perfect condition. Now in use in the home office. ...I know, just bear with me.

BACKGROUND: I picked up some new Polk T15 bookshelf speakers because they were half off at Best Buy and I couldn't pass them up. I do like Polk (I know not all of you do), and they're perfect for their intended application in my home office (about 10'x12'). I was previously using a pair of active bookshelf speakers (Edifier R1280T). They were great, but I was looking for something with fuller sound, and a little more power when I wanted to crank it. They also had 4" drivers, and the Polk has 5.25" drivers and spec'd out to reach a bit lower than the Edifier speakers. 75Hz low for the Edifiers vs. 45Hz for the Polks. This was important as I'm not using a sub in the office, nor do I want to add one for space reasons.

MY ISSUE/QUESTION: I connected the new Polks to the above mentioned Yamaha RX-V665 7.2 receiver. I connected them to the FR (front right) and FL outputs on the receiver. I turned it on and everything worked great, except for the sound. There was zero bass. I realize this is a theater receiver, but it should have no problem running a 2.0 setup. I saw that the sub icon was lit up on the display, so I was thinking that the receiver thought a sub was present. I went into the setup and changed sub to none. Sub icon went away, but the sound was exactly the same. I used the YPAO calibration mic (which I didn't think would be necessary since I was just using it for 2.0). Overall sound improved (props to YPAO), but still no lows. I was thinking I had the polarity reversed on the speakers or receiver. Nope. Played with crossover settings on the receiver to no avail (which shouldn't have made a difference anyway because there is no sub connected). Finally, I took the speakers to my 2.0 stereo receiver in the garage and connected them and they sounded great. I found the nice lows I was looking for. Because I acquired this receiver used, I decided to do a factory reset. Still no lows. I messed with the preset EQ settings. They change the sound, but didn't increase the bass. I realize there's a break-in period for new speakers, but the fact that they sounded good on my garage receiver tells me I'm either doing something wrong, or there's something wrong with the receiver. I really don't think the receiver is malfunctioning, so that means I'm probably missing something. I feel like I covered it all, but figured I'd ask you experts.

One thing I haven't tried yet, which I was thinking about giving a shot: This receiver is a bi-amp, dual zone receiver. I was thinking about connecting the speakers to the zone 2 and see if there's a difference.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas? Should I just not be using a 7.2 theater receiver for a 2.0 setup?

Solution
I have resolved this on my own. I tweaked some settings and got it where it needs to be. Because I'm listening to music at relatively low volume (most of the time) in my office, the volume wasn't high enough to really shine. I also changed the Adaptive DRC from off to auto, which apparently simulates higher output at lower volumes. I was surprised at how much difference this made.

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I have resolved this on my own. I tweaked some settings and got it where it needs to be. Because I'm listening to music at relatively low volume (most of the time) in my office, the volume wasn't high enough to really shine. I also changed the Adaptive DRC from off to auto, which apparently simulates higher output at lower volumes. I was surprised at how much difference this made.

Solution