2.0 vs 2.1 Setup

Stirlo

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
Hi all,

I am currently searching for a new set of speakers for my PC to replace my old Logitech 5.1 system that has lasted me well for about 12 years. I've been doing a bit of research and am still having a hard time deciding what to purchase. I've been reading a lot about 2.0 and 2.1 systems and have read a lot about 2.0 systems lacking bass as a result of there being no dedicated sub. Currently my speakers are setup on my desk with the sub sitting under my desk.
Have these in mind thus far:

Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II - 2.0
http://au.creative.com/p/speakers/gigaworks-t40-series-ii

Logitech Z623 - 2.1
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/speaker-system-z623

I was almost settled on the Creative t40's as they look fantastic and will take up less space than my current speakers. I've read several reviews saying wonders about them, some saying the bass is as much as you'll need as well as others saying the bass is lacking in comparison to 2.1 systems with dedicated subs. However, with my setup currently, with the sub sitting under the desk, I only ever have the bass at about 10-20% which is plenty for me hence why I opted for a 2.0 setup. So basically my question is this - are 2.0 systems worth going for or are they not good enough of a compromise to forgo a dedicated subwoofer even if the sub is only being used at a fraction of its potential.

Obviously it would be nice to test a number of setups to see what sounds the best personally but that just isn't possible.

If anyone has any suggestions on any speaker systems that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to spend between 100$ - 200$ Australian

Cheers

Solution
satellite (small) speakers generally lack bass output.
bookshelf (medium) speakers generally have mid-bass output.

computer speakers all fall into the small category for the most part. without a subwoofer they are incapable of very low tones. this does not mean that they are completely incapable as many do mid bass just fine however they will lack that low end kick that only a subwoofer can provide.

the t40 will be much more articulate than the z623. for everything but bass i'd class it higher. the logitech set however will be more boomy/flabby with bass so if you like bass thats the one you want.

another option would be to get some powered speakers in the hifi category. look at things like the mackie cr3/cr4, m-audio av30/av40 or...
satellite (small) speakers generally lack bass output.
bookshelf (medium) speakers generally have mid-bass output.

computer speakers all fall into the small category for the most part. without a subwoofer they are incapable of very low tones. this does not mean that they are completely incapable as many do mid bass just fine however they will lack that low end kick that only a subwoofer can provide.

the t40 will be much more articulate than the z623. for everything but bass i'd class it higher. the logitech set however will be more boomy/flabby with bass so if you like bass thats the one you want.

another option would be to get some powered speakers in the hifi category. look at things like the mackie cr3/cr4, m-audio av30/av40 or similar. or get a nice pair of passive bookshelf speakers and a small amplifier.

in your case, i would say... you may be fine with the t40. its not completely bassless and its one of the better regarded pc speakers out there. it however will not have the kick of your current subwoofer system. bookshelf speakers would be even better as they give just a bit more lowend though still lack the depth a subwoofer can give. the logitech sets arent bad for value but tend towards boomy/bassy audio that is only average on quality. certainly good, but if looking for something articulate you might want to look elsewhere.

as i mentioned above, if you're looking for a much more noticible step up, look at 2.0 powered hifi speakers like i mentioned (there are many other brands, but these are some cheaper models that are also respected)

Solution