2.1 set up?

ien2222

Distinguished
The a5+'s are decent, but the Paradigms will run circles around them especially with a sub.

If you are considering active speakers, I'd look at Emotiva's Airmotiv series, they are superior to Audioengine's offerings. Behringer also makes good active speakers also.

But it sounds like you really liked the Paradigm monitors so I'd go with that. One thing though, if this is for desktop duty make sure you listen to them that way because not all good sounding speakers do well in nearfield listening.

esco_sid

Honorable
May 11, 2012

yes but its different price brackets as paradigms cost almost 600 but honestly if you are not an audiophile a5+ is way more cost effective and they do have mostly 5 star reviews

esco_sid

Honorable
May 11, 2012

the thing with audio equipment is that it is very opinion based

esco_sid

Honorable
May 11, 2012

sure if he wants to spend the $600 i just thought id offer a cheaper alternative.

Liamace123

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Hey thanks guys I will be using these for desktop use.... But when I listened to them they were in an open room not in front of a pc. Also I will look at the speakers you guys recommended thanks, But how good is the sub? A lot like it and a lot don't. What do you guys think? By the way we are talking about the PL 200.

ien2222

Distinguished
It's a decent performer, but doesn't stand out in any way. My first pick for desktop duty that's around the $300-400 range is the Mordaunt-Short Aviano 7 sub.

Usually when place with desktops, positioning isn't idea, usually it's sort of boxed in and creates unwanted resonances and reverb which leads to more of a boomy, one-note-wonder sort of sound. What's nice about the Aviano is that it has a variable notch filter built in which allows you to take a narrow frequency range and reduce the output, this allows you mostly get rid of that 2-4 note region that gets amplified out of control.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's happening with the availability of it. It's still listed on their website, but none of the distributors seem to have any stock. If you want to take the time and try track one down, I think it'd be worth the effort. It's a solid performer on it's own, but with access to the filter it makes a great choice it the desktop environment.

Otherwise my next choice in the under $400 range, would be the NXG NX-BAS-500 which is actually cheaper at $270. I choose this because it's a relatively flat and more accurate sub compared to others up to the $400 range. Here's a review which seems to sum up the consensus of what this sub is about.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/67178-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-review.html

Otherwise as I said, the BIC is a middle of the road sub, doesn't really out perform others in it's price range, but doesn't really lag behind them either.

If you are willing to up the budget to around $500, a whole different world opens up at that point.