2 dead power supplies in 2 years in samsung 64 inch plasma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the capacitors on the PS board. Samsung is known for it. Almost every model of Samsung TV in the last six years has this issue. The capacitors can be replaced if you know how to do basic soldering.

There are tons of videos on how to do this. Here is one. Or you can just replace the entire supply but it's over 150 bucks for the board, if you can find one. Any TV or electronics shop should be able to do it for you for about 100 bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0id3-YZsQ

Most TV makers use 85 degree rated capacitors in theie power supplies when they should be using 105 degree ones. For replacement boards I would suggest www.shopjimmy.com
The better solution is to have the board rebuilt with better caps. A local repair shop can do this but make sure that they don't just replace the board. It is worth it since plasma TVs are still considered the best for accurate picture quality.

mooresvillekid

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Thanks for the replies, i do have experience in soldering and watched the videos. If or when it goes out again i will do a rebuild on the PSU myself using better quality caps. Sad these days things are built to sell, not built to last.

Those two things are mutually exclusive. Built to sell and built to last rarely find themselves on the same electronic device these days.

Items built to last are generally expensive and don't fly off the shelves like cheap electronics do. There's a reason why two otherwise similar units have a difference of 200 dollars on the price tag. Then again, even some very expensive electronics have been known to use problematic components.

mooresvillekid

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Yes i do need to get educated on products before i buy them. I have another 42 inch plasma that is 9yrs old still going strong, and it is an SVA of all things. I bought a 65 inch mits DLP and had problems galore, then they went off the market. Now it looks like plasmas are going off the market as well. Its a shame because the picture quality of them are unsurpassed.

ms1001

Estimable
Jun 14, 2015
Hi,

I just want to share my Samsung power problem experiences, where the TV turns off and on.
This with the PS51E8000 model (European/Dutch) Plasma TV of 2012.
In April 2012 I bought the Plasma TV PS51E8000 for 2000,00 euro.

Now June 2015, just over the 2 years factory warranty, the fourth repair is still ongoing..

First the TV switched off and on by itself, it was repaired for free.
Main pcb replaced (September 2012).

Then after some time, the TV switched off and on (again). If was repaired for free.
Now the power-pcb was replaced (January 2013).

A new fail occurred, vertical colored lines (right-hand-side of the screen),
and again the TV switched off and on by itself.

But now the 2 year warranty was passed, some leniency / goodwill gesture was in order, so it cost me max 280 euro.
They replaced the whole plasma screen (perfect !).
And they replaced the wifi-module, which should fix the power cycles. (April 2015)

Now May 2015, after the third repair, the off-on problem occurs again.
And it was within the 90 day, of the third repair.

But I think it is not fixable by simple swapping default boards.
Maybe and probably due to wrongly designed hardware/software ?

Check these video clips, this explains all:
Now:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyp3TPVBEj8
Samsung PS51E8000 22may2015 movie4 10+ TV off&on using the remote buttons :: may2015 6:40

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdR1q2ajt00
Samsung PS51E8000 25may2015 movie6 30plus TV off&on while on external satellite decoder :: may2015 3:41

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_CW8bmnkE
Samsung again defect Plasma 2012-2015 3th repair. LED closeup + remote Switching off and on. Mov3 :: may2015 5:20

Previous:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyIEZiqpDbU
Samsung PS51E8000 Plasma 2012. After 2nd repair again dead. Turns off and on. SmartHub update resets :: feb2015 5:03

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShAAvjyeNk
Samsung PS51E8000 Plasma 2012. After 2nd repair again dead. Switches off and on. MOVIE 2/3. 2015 :: feb2015 2:37

Old:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7rCdgvHU3o
Samsung TV PS51E8000 Plasma 2012, Turns by itself off and on. mov8/8 External Satellite Receiver :: dec2012 12:17

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lur-815RNnQ
Samsung TV PS51E8000 Plasma 2012 , Switches off and on by itself. On Sat FTA channel. Movie 3/8 :: dec2012 2:29

Actually it seems to be that this TV was far from perfect.
In the Netherlands for this TV, the consumer live-span of this kind of TV is set for 6 years.
It never reached it. Within a few months the degrading began.
PS, the off/on is very active, then days or weeks nothing, then it starts again resetting/power failing.

Thanks for reading !
regards,
Manuel

Seattleite

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
It's not necessarily the capacitors. I too have a PN64E550 64 " plasma powering on/off continuously. Samsung pleads the 5th about any such issues and I'm not long out of warranty but they refuse to assist in any manner. I've been searching the internet and the sheer numbers of Samsung tvs experiencing this same issue is astonishing and every room in my home has a Samsung tv in it as I was thinking they were the best however my opinion is now the opposite. I called a service company who said he "reseated the power connections", I paid him and it started the same problem right away. Now they're going to replace a board and another service company I called said he's run into this issue many times and its most likely the main X board. We shall see...

David_779

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

Same here on my 3rd Power supply now $550 each time, similar model. Just rang Samsung, lets see how we go

BARKICK

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Old post but this TV is a piece of junk. My power supply board has failed 3 times now, plus i have had to replace capacitors on the main board. I will not purchase a Samsung TV ever again. Going in the garbage as its not worth the cost to repair. Good luck

homebrew3573

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Four year old 8500 series Samsung plasma and power supply failed. Local TV repair sent the board off to be repaired. That was over a month ago. Despite several phone calls I still don't have an answer. Called Samsung who basically said the boards are no longer made so I'm SOL. I've been scouring ebay and Craigslist for a board. Plenty of Samsung plasmas for sale, all with bad power supplies. No boards yet. Last Samsung product I'll ever buy.

ozoneduck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017

homebrew3573

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Thanks for your offer. I was able to score a NEW power supply board, installed it and the TV works like new.

carb2112

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Same issue here. Argued with Samsung about this known issue. They even had a recall due to a lawsuit for the same capacitor issue and repaired all TV's made before 2008. I will never buy Samsung again and will yell at any person I know that does. BS Company with a token run around call center that does nothing in India.

Aug 5, 2018
Hello homebrew3573, Your post here is similar to my experience here in India. I have a 4 year old samsung PS64F8500 plasma tv. It worked wonderfully all these years but lately noticed a greenish vertical line from left corner of the screen. After that the TV screen sometimes would refuse to turn ON if the main power supply failed and the backup DG power came ON. In other words any ON OFF operation in quick succession would cause the Standby light to flicker and the screen remaining blank. The sound would be there though. Now since last two days, after we returned from a 20 days UK trip the TV is refusing to switch ON altogether with no sound also. Called a samsung technician to check the same and he says the PDP Screen has shorted!!!!!
The replacement part is showing as unavailable in there official website so I am wondering what will happen next!
Been checking online for the part but no luck.
Anyone has any helpful leads to this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.