bloodygump

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
1. My price range is 2000-2400$
2. I am looking for either a 15 or 17inch screen
3. preferably at 1600x900
4. I am looking for a desktop replacement
5. battery life is a non issue as I will be plugged in most of the time
6. I am looking to play games at medium to high settings with good framerates (I.E. SC2 or GW2 or Black ops)
7. I will primarily be either gaming, watching movies(netflix), or doing basic stuff with excel word
8. I would like as much storage as possible 1t if possible
9. I am considering going to alienware(alienware.com) but would love other suggestions
10. I will need this laptop for 3years
11. The optical drive is unimportant so long as it has one obviously
12. I have not purchased a gaming laptop yet and do not care as to the brand so long as it delivers the quality gaming experience I am looking for. That being said, I don't have a lot of experience with these types of products as I have primarily been a desktop user.
13. I am in the US
14. I am really just looking for a solid gaming laptop within my budget range that will last me the 3 years. I am not super picky about whether it will be at the maxed out graphics settings for most games because medium does it for me. I know that alienware is seen as an overpriced brand but I simply don't know enough about other brands to know about their quality and specifications. The current computer I am looking at has the following specs and is an alienware 17 inch laptop.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS)
VIDEO CARD 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6970M
HARD DRIVE 1.5TB Raid 0 (2x 750GB 7,200RPM)
LCD PANEL 17.3-inch WideHD+ 1600 x 900 60Hz WLED

If anyone has any insight as to whether this will be adequate for my needs or if I am making a mistake or if there is a better place to get this type of product I would really appreciate the help!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Sager, because Alienware IS overpriced. Otherwise, go for Asus G73SW and customize the hell out of it... however, you budget still allows you to do much better than that. Or wait for Asus G74 and its overpriced VX7 version =)