2 GHz Motorola Android Phone May Arrive in Q4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I just re-skimmed the source article, and apparently there was something in there about an exec mentioning Tegra2 off the record. Maybe Moto does have a Tegra2 device on the way, I mean, that wouldn't be completely crazy... cut a 2GHz Tegra2 is. Everything out there about the Tegra2 platform that I've seen has said that Nvidia was using 1GHz dual core A9s, similar to what TI's OMAP4 has...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Yup, on Nvidia's site for Tegra2 they say:
"Processor and Memory Subsystem
* Dual-core ARM® Cortex-A9 MPCore™ processor, up to 1.0 GHz"

If this device has a 2GHz something or another, and is going to release by the end of the year... it has to be an Osprey dual core A9. So, either Moto has a Tegra2 based device AND an Osprey based device on the way, or one of the execs had "miss-spoke".

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
People need to stop thinking that a quad 1ghz processor ='s 4ghz. Or, that a dual 1ghz processor ='s 2ghz.

If you drive two cars at the same time at 60MPH are you driving the car at 120MPH? NO! why? Because when you put it in perspective it sounds retarded!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]People need to stop thinking that a quad 1ghz processor ='s 4ghz. Or, that a dual 1ghz processor ='s 2ghz.If you drive two cars at the same time at 60MPH are you driving the car at 120MPH? NO! why? Because when you put it in perspective it sounds retarded![/citation]

I'm probably coming across as something of a crazy person, chatting with myself, but nobody else has any input, I guess. The Moto execs were both probably speaking inaccuracies, from what I can tell, but maybe not. TSMC should be able to produce 40nm "Osprey" Cortex-A9 parts by the end of the year. The IP was released end of 09, and there's been sufficient time. They're the same gen as the 1GHz A9s in the Tegra2, and OMAP4 platforms, but with architecture differences that let them hit 2GHz. They're similar, its just that the lower clockspeed version is optimized for battery life, and the 2GHz version is optimized for speed.
- The 2GHz A9s were supposed to be a competitor for Atom in the smartbook, tablet, netbook, type of markets... but I've never heard of someone wanting to use one in a phone.

G

i think that in the current state of technology governing mobile devices a two CPU core design at relatively lower clock speeds would benefit more than having a single CPU clocked much higher...i believe it pays more respect to conserving battery power because you can control in a more finite manner the power management properties based upon user's demands and inputs...its more intricate yes, but if well executed it will yield a much more efficient machine capable not only amazing abilities, but with responsible battery usage as well...

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]mattjargon[/nom]or battery life...[/citation]
Don't worry, they'll use a mini nuclear reactor :p

Anyways, it's great to see the speed/performance race going on, but I do tend to worry about heat and battery life now, esp. with what happened between AMD vs Intel in the P4 era.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I wonder at what moment in the near future smartphones cpus will match desktop clock rates. Maybe we are not so far away when our phones will suffice most computing needs and we will be able to carry them anywhere. Put 2 or more of them together for network processing power. Software developers will need to create powerful apps to put those cpus in good use. Can we dream?. Get a folding HD screen and keyboard and you are done...

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]People need to stop thinking that a quad 1ghz processor ='s 4ghz. Or, that a dual 1ghz processor ='s 2ghz.If you drive two cars at the same time at 60MPH are you driving the car at 120MPH? NO! why? Because when you put it in perspective it sounds retarded![/citation]

No you are not driving at 120 but you are carrying/processing more information at the same time.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Give me a call when one hour of continuous usage of cell phone apps don't drain the battery, and I don't mean just talking on the phone. I might get one, then.

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
[citation][nom]newt291[/nom]World of Warcraft anyone?[/citation]

xxsk8er101xx has a point about 2 x 1GHz =/= 2GHz processor, but falls short with his analogy. Think about it this way:

you're moving home and got a ton of stuff to move from A to B.

you could hire one van, and make 20 fully loaded trips at 60MPH (analogous to single core)

or hire two vans, and make 10 fully loaded trips at 60MPH (analogous to dual core).

Which is going to take less time to transfer your stuff from A to B?

speed limit = GHz
# of vans = # of cores
stuff = data

This is why multiple cores at lower clock rate > one core at high clock rate. More data transfer per "trip" or cycle.

eg 2GHz dual core > 4GHz pentium 4. Not because 2x2GHZ but because 2x the data throughput per unit time.

in summary GHz isn't king. As everyone knows from the 1990's/early 2000's when the GHz race was on. Similar to the Megapixel race more recently (more MP's =/= better quality (only bigger image)

G

The phone will be a cracker provided that they can levy some of the cpu usage to only desired processes and shut it off for others. CPU management is going to be key here which should sort out the quibbles about the battery, to be honest though, having a chunky phone isn't such a bad idea, i like weight, it feels reliable when it's heavier, the galaxy S (which is top of my list at the moment) is so flimsy and for that reason i don't really like it. The cpu will be single core i think and it WILL be 2ghz. Whether or not it is much kop or not i really don't know, looks like we'll have to wait and see.

PS: Some of you really do need to think before you type.
If it was going to be a dual core, don't you think that they would have announced that too? I know i would have. It will be single core.

Status
Not open for further replies.