2 laptops, need to choose one, your opinion

user993

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Hi, I'm a student and I don't have a big budget.
I need to buy some laptop urgently as I'm learning web programming and I love to play games, but dekstop are not a option because of portability.
Because I have a small budget, I decided that I want to take the risk and buy a used laptop with better configuration, than a new laptop with poorer configuration.
I found these two laptops in my area and want to hear your opinions.

Laptop 1
Model: HP Elitebook 8560W Workstation
Processor: Intel Core I7-2630QM (2-gen) 2.20 GHZ
RAM: 16 GB ddr3
HDD: 160 GB SSD
GPU: Nvidia Quadro 2000M 2GB
Display: 15.6" LED wide screen resolution 1600 x 900 HD+
Price: 435$

Laptop 2
Model: HP Probook 450 G1
Processor: Intel Core I7-4702MQ (4-gen) 2.20 GHZ
RAM: 16 GB ddr3
HDD: 1000 GB Sata
GPU: Intel HD Grafics 4600 +AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2 GB
Display: 15.6" SLIM LED wide screen resolution 1366 x 768 HD
Price: 480$

Solution
To be honest I wouldn't give either houseroom.
Laptop 2 has an appalling screen resolution 1366 x 768 - you have to be kidding. My phone is better than that.
laptop 1 has a SSD so it will be fairly fast to start up BUT it's only 160 GB of which about half will be needed by the OS. You'll quickly run out of storage space and will have to rely on cloud storage or an external drive. Has it got a USB3 port? It also has a poor screen resolution—you are going to be looking at a letterbox screen and forever scrolling.
Both are HP machines. I've had numerous HPs and every single one has eventually suffered from overheating. Look to the construction too. Painted plastic may look nice to start with but wears away leaving the laptop looking scruffy.

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
To be honest I wouldn't give either houseroom.
Laptop 2 has an appalling screen resolution 1366 x 768 - you have to be kidding. My phone is better than that.
laptop 1 has a SSD so it will be fairly fast to start up BUT it's only 160 GB of which about half will be needed by the OS. You'll quickly run out of storage space and will have to rely on cloud storage or an external drive. Has it got a USB3 port? It also has a poor screen resolution—you are going to be looking at a letterbox screen and forever scrolling.
Both are HP machines. I've had numerous HPs and every single one has eventually suffered from overheating. Look to the construction too. Painted plastic may look nice to start with but wears away leaving the laptop looking scruffy.

Solution