20 Smart Android Phone Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I could only add Paul@MoDaCo as an excellent site for downloading custom ROMs and learning a lot of new tricks to apply on your phone. Android is the best phone OS now and continues to improve every month.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'd like to point out that not all Android phones are the same. Some manufacturers put certain settings in different places, so if you don't see an option mentioned in this article, just poke around in other logical places for it.

Also, for those who may be interested in Custom ROMs, there is a site currently under development that has great potential to become THE site for Custom ROMs. It'll probably be up and running in a week or two. Check it out at http://customandroidroms.com/

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
When I use bluetooth, I only get about 55kb/s on average. It is quite annoying when you have to transfer many files. I don't have an android phone though.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I feel like an idiot, but I have had Smart Keyboard Pro installed for ~3 months and didn't even have it properly set as the input device because of needing to select it twice (I had it checked in the keyboards menu, but not at the second spot.)

Thanks for the guide. Great info. (I'm a Nexus One user)

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]I feel like an idiot, but I have had Smart Keyboard Pro installed for ~3 months and didn't even have it properly set as the input device because of needing to select it twice (I had it checked in the keyboards menu, but not at the second spot.) Thanks for the guide. Great info. (I'm a Nexus One user)[/citation]

I'm glad it helped! The keyboard settings really are quite obscure. I tried to include tips for both Android newbies as well as the more seasoned users.

nmeofdst8

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
"and can be considered illegal" .....Um..nope.

Void warranty, maybe, problems on official servicing of Iphone, maybe, problems with Itunes activation, possibly, ...illegal, no.

Taking something you own and changing the operating system on it is not illegal, period. Using it to scam, phish, put unpaid for copyrighted material on, yes. Simply making it to where you can install free programs on a jailbroken phone that you own...legal.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]nmeofdst8[/nom]"and can be considered illegal" .....Um..nope.Void warranty, maybe, problems on official servicing of Iphone, maybe, problems with Itunes activation, possibly, ...illegal, no.Taking something you own and changing the operating system on it is not illegal, period. Using it to scam, phish, put unpaid for copyrighted material on, yes. Simply making it to where you can install free programs on a jailbroken phone that you own...legal.[/citation]

When Apple sells your an iPhone, you own the device, but Apple retains the rights to it. By jailbreaking it, you're violating the EULA, which is a legally binding agreement. Breaking it is illegal. It's up to Apple's discretion to seek litigation, hence the wording, "can be considered."

nmeofdst8

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
No..it is NOT illegal...period. Apple does not retain the rights to your Iphone. They hold rights over the software they put on it, when you put other software on it, that is open source, free, etc (not talking about pirated software/illegally obtained/copyrighted), or change a setting in their software (which is all jailbreaking and unlocking really is) you are not doing anything illegal. Breaking a EULA does not = Illegal. They could try to take you to court over it and lose..but that would be a "civil" matter..not a "criminal" matter. Civil...nothing to do with Illegal. Criminal = Illegal actions, i.e., breaking a federal, state, local, municipal law, ordnance or code. Apple filed an action about copyright infringement with the Copyright Office. They did this because They claim its against the law (their argument is extremely weak, google it). Apple does not equal Law makers.
The Action has been going back and forth for quite some time.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]nmeofdst8[/nom]No..it is NOT illegal...period. Apple does not retain the rights to your Iphone. They hold rights over the software they put on it, when you put other software on it, that is open source, free, etc (not talking about pirated software/illegally obtained/copyrighted), or change a setting in their software (which is all jailbreaking and unlocking really is) you are not doing anything illegal. Breaking a EULA does not = Illegal. They could try to take you to court over it and lose..but that would be a "civil" matter..not a "criminal" matter. Civil...nothing to do with Illegal. Criminal = Illegal actions, i.e., breaking a federal, state, local, municipal law, ordnance or code. Apple filed an action about copyright infringement with the Copyright Office. They did this because They claim its against the law (their argument is extremely weak, google it). Apple does not equal Law makers. The Action has been going back and forth for quite some time.[/citation]

Alright, let's try to keep on topic. We both agree that the legality of breaking a EULA is a subject of debate and can go either way. The article addresses this with the "can be considered" clause. It seems like we're both on the same page here, so let's not turn it into an argument :)

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I like the way you guys handled that debate. Seriously. It is a discussion for the ages. Sometimes I wonder if people will still be debating it 10 years from now.

8bitme

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I don't have an Android phone :(
but would like info on what is available?
I think you can install Android on a Nokia N900. I have an N800 (not a cell phone but internet device) but it is broke right now. I currently have a Blackberry (w/o wifi :( on it)
Any insight would be appreciated.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]8bitme[/nom]oh and any references for Android that you think is good would be nice as well.Thanks[/citation]

www.phandroid.com is a nice, straight-forward site for Android related news. They tend to be pretty on top of things and catch all of the device specific news you want to know about.

G

How do I get the app "Favorites" back on one of my homescreens for the Droid Incredible? (It was there and then it just seemed to disappear!? Now it's gone. It was so convenient to have a button for the several people I call/contact often.)

mamaoyot

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
For information about the full article "Customise Your Android Device"
http://devicegadget.com/android/customise-android-device/1274/

pastakare

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
i think this triks is very important to know for all android smartphone user like me..
i have another else about android check this http://androidphone-tips.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.