2003 computer to mine crypto currencies?

pigsinspace72

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
So i got this old 2003 dell poweredge 600sc workstation with a 2.8ghz single core and 4GB of ram. I used to use this computer for hosting MySQL databases but I am currently not doing that anymore so I would like a use for this computer. I have several other old computers(some less and others more powerful) that I could also use. Would it be worth it to mine any crypto currencies out there and if so, which one? Power consumption isn't much concern too me as Im in a dorm room.

Solution
Some are saying litecoin. But others are saying yeah but its only worth it if you already have the pc. And even then its expected to go the same way as bit mining - unprofitable as everyone gets in on it.

pigsinspace72

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

Most of my computers lying around are workstation computers so have very weak GPU, however, are there algorithms that work better for cpu usage. Im pretty sure I heard something about litecoin being pretty good on the CPU but I could be wrong. Are there other, less difficult crypto currencies worth mining?

Yeah - you need to run them 24/7 to even have a chance of it being profitable. In the past few months most miners have worked out its not profitable anymore. So they're not buying up R9 290's any more and that's why the prices have dropped. It doesn't pay the electricity bills.

pigsinspace72

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

Would you say there are other currencies that are worth mining that could become profitable?

pigsinspace72

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

All I want i a couple bit coins, How long should that take?