2009 MacBook Pro needs Video Editing software

markowallace

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
I have a 2009 MacBook Pro running El Capitan now - which I'd like to use for Editing a feature documentary I shot in 1990. I am not a Tech, but have done audio engineering professionally. What software/changes must I make to get my machine to do basic lap/dissolves, and audio voice-overs? ANY guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
OK, problem solved. It is unnecessarily up-hill for me to try to force top performance from my beloved old equipment. I just went to Best Buy, and for $77 a month, in 18 months w/ no interest, I will own a 21.5" Retina 4K, 8Gig iMac. I must run FCP and Logic, which will be my next challenge to acquire, but as someone told the young Mel Brooks, "once you struggle to get to the Bell...RING IT!" Time to take my projects more seriously. Thanks for all your help. -M[/b]

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You just need to get suitable video editing software.

I use Premiere Pro as we get a complete Adobe package at work, but it's definitely on expensive side, and really meant for professionals who get paid to edit all day.
There are loads out there, Premiere Elements I haven't used, but will be a cut down version of pro.
Haven't used iMovie on OSX so im not sure it's capabilities.

Also, if there is any chance you could access some more powerful hardware, that would go a LONG way.

Also also... unless you want your docu to look like it was made in 1990, please don't use dissolve transitions ;)

markowallace

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
From your MUCH appreciated reply, and my discovering that there is an Elements 11,12,13,14...I conclude that 14 is for me. It offers the most modern output options. The Master footage was shot in Hi8 - new at the time - and digitized in FCP.
My remaining question is final project length. I need it to be a 1-hour presentation, perhaps a bit longer. 85 minutes max. This is an extraordinary project, the 14 minute rough-cut trailer of which was presented at the Margaret Mead Film Festival in NYC - still shown in many graduate Anthro. classes - and the president of AFTRA desires to personally submit the final version to the Academy in the Feature Documentary category. Pretty cool for Hi8. -M

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
What was the question?

Never used Hi8, but I still shoot 35mm film regularly, and love it. Digital still can't match the highlights.

For a 1 hour edit, that MBP is going to suffer badly. If theres any way you can get your hands on some faster hardware... something with 16 cores, 64Gb ram, 1Tb SSD and a workstation card would be nice.

If you can get a min 8Gb ram in and a 250Gb SSD, that would at least help a lot.

You have the trailer online?

markowallace

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
My background is really in 35mm Film, which was edited on early Avid systems - stage mgr./lighting for major TV commercials in NYC, in the 1980s. My dad was a pro Still Photographer, and I used all this taught me in my work. I hardly ever move the camera after composing an expressive frame, and I discovered that I had to use Tiffen filters to get what I saw onto the tape, and on screen. Evidently, the mind "sees" a composite image by focusing attention close, then far away, etc.

Do you think that I may be able to accomplish this editing if I improve the hardware inside my machine? It's a 2.93 Core Duo, 4 GB RAM. Otherwise, I'll have to finance a new one - which I need for Logic use too. The collapse of the traditional music industry, preceded by a long-passed bout of ill health, ruined my finances. This project is my attempt to bounce back.

My rough-cut trailer is on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNxfhIGIAXU

BTW - a famous European motion picture Director once said to me "Film is a physical change in the emulsion, video is some engineer's opinion of what red looks like."

-M

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah, love shooting 35mm (still) Velvia. Nothing looks quite like it. Every time somebody uses an RVP instagram filter/overlay, I die a little.

Use the hardware you have now and start working, see how it goes. Ram is probably first on the list. 8Gb would go a long way.

I'll check out the vid soon. Thanks.

markowallace

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
OK, problem solved. It is unnecessarily up-hill for me to try to force top performance from my beloved old equipment. I just went to Best Buy, and for $77 a month, in 18 months w/ no interest, I will own a 21.5" Retina 4K, 8Gig iMac. I must run FCP and Logic, which will be my next challenge to acquire, but as someone told the young Mel Brooks, "once you struggle to get to the Bell...RING IT!" Time to take my projects more seriously. Thanks for all your help. -M[/b]

Solution

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Good stuff. They have very accurate uncalibrated screens too which is important for any photo/video work.
I've been using a 5k for the past year and it's great. Had a 27" 1440 since 2009, and I'll never use anything else for work.
In 5-6 years, most 21ish screens will still be 1440, you might have to do your encoding overnight, but you'll still be looking at a higher resolution, more colour accurate screen than most new pc users will have.