Solved! Looking for advice on iMac purchasing ahead of the 2021 16" Macbook Pro Release

May 6, 2021
Hi All,

My current 2015 MacBook Pro has served me well but is on its way out. This pretty much handles all of my work needs, which are primarily video editing and some motion graphics work, with relative ease.

The specs are --

MacBook Pro: (Retina,15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor: 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB Intel Iris Pro 1536

I'm planning on buying the 2021 16" MacBook Pro upon release. In the interim I'm interested in buying an iMac as a failsafe in case my ailing MacBook says enough is enough, which I would then keep as a second machine.

Could anyone advise on the timing of this purchase;
  • Is a high spec 5K iMac still a worthwhile purchase given the impending 2021 release or would it be soon rendered obsolete?
  • If the above is so, would it be more worthwhile to get a lower spec iMac with comparable specs to my MacBook 2015 as a stopgap?
  • Looking at refurbished iMacs, would you consider a Grade B or higher refurbishment to be the only worthwhile grade to purchase?
  • Any other help is also very much appreciated!

Solution
Is a high spec 5K iMac still a worthwhile purchase given the impending 2021 release or would it be soon rendered obsolete?

It won't be obsolete for a while yet. Apple has a pretty good track record of keeping older devices updated. Just remember, the further you go back in years of release the less support you're likely to end up with. If you're picking up a refurb Mid 2020, shouldn't be concerned in my opinion. I wouldn't go lower than a Early 2019 though personally.

Looking at refurbished iMacs, would you consider a Grade B or higher refurbishment to be the only worthwhile grade to purchase?

I'd have no problem buying a Grade B as long as the price is right. However, you have to consider what the seller considers...

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Is a high spec 5K iMac still a worthwhile purchase given the impending 2021 release or would it be soon rendered obsolete?

It won't be obsolete for a while yet. Apple has a pretty good track record of keeping older devices updated. Just remember, the further you go back in years of release the less support you're likely to end up with. If you're picking up a refurb Mid 2020, shouldn't be concerned in my opinion. I wouldn't go lower than a Early 2019 though personally.

Looking at refurbished iMacs, would you consider a Grade B or higher refurbishment to be the only worthwhile grade to purchase?

I'd have no problem buying a Grade B as long as the price is right. However, you have to consider what the seller considers Grade B. Sometimes it differs from resellers.

Reactions: Sally G
Solution