Looking for a portable laptop for school and gaming. Reccomendations?

Reidermcf

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hi. I currently have a 2015 MacBook Pro, which I use for school. However, you just can't game on a Mac. So I think I'll sell it for about $1500-$1600, and I have about $250 I am willing to spend of the money I currently have. So $1850 is basically my budget.

I need a Mac for school, but I also want a Windows laptop for gaming. I don't want to buy used, and I want the PC to have good specs for budget gaming (1050 ti or comparable, Kaby Lake core i5 or higher, at least 8gb RAM, an SSD, and at least 1tb of total storage), but I don't really care too much about the Mac's specs. Also, the Windows laptop can't weigh more than 5 pounds because I travel a lot.

I'm thinking that I would spend about $800 on a low end MacBook, and the rest on a Windows 10 laptop.

Thanks!

Solution
^^He says he travels with them, so that's out.

Anyway I don't know of any new gaming laptop with a dedicated 1050 Ti GPU that weighs less than 5 lbs. You are going to have to make some compromises somewhere, either in size, price, a previous generation GPU/CPU, or looking at refurbished ones. Here's a rundown of what NewEgg has to offer on a refurb by MSI that meets your demands with a 1050 Ti, 16GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. The only thing is that it weighs 5.3 lbs. but that's about the best you are going to find.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154548

^^You will be hard pressed to find a better value than that, and you definitely won't find a new one for that price. Also I'm not sure why you are so...

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
If you have one of the MBPs with dedicated graphics, you could bootcamp the Mac and game in Windows. The GPU isn't super strong, but they'll do alright.

An ASUS ROG or MSI GL62 sound like what you're looking for in the form of a Windows laptop.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
^^He says he travels with them, so that's out.

Anyway I don't know of any new gaming laptop with a dedicated 1050 Ti GPU that weighs less than 5 lbs. You are going to have to make some compromises somewhere, either in size, price, a previous generation GPU/CPU, or looking at refurbished ones. Here's a rundown of what NewEgg has to offer on a refurb by MSI that meets your demands with a 1050 Ti, 16GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. The only thing is that it weighs 5.3 lbs. but that's about the best you are going to find.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154548

^^You will be hard pressed to find a better value than that, and you definitely won't find a new one for that price. Also I'm not sure why you are so adamant on a Kaby Lake. There is no real difference in performance on a mobile Kaby Lake vs. mobile Skylake CPU. You are asking for too much for your price range and demands.

Solution

Reidermcf

Commendable
May 3, 2016

I have a 13" 2015 MBP with maxed out specs, but it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, so I can't really justify using bootcamp.

Reidermcf

Commendable
May 3, 2016

I already have a good Ryzen desktop that I'm happy with. I just need a gaming laptop for on the go.