21 One Hit Web Wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
When are you going to replace this stupid picture slideshows with something more efficient and requiring less clicks and quicker loading? Something flash or java based perhaps?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]When are you going to replace this stupid picture slideshows with something more efficient and requiring less clicks and quicker loading? Something flash or java based perhaps?[/citation]
We hear you! Please know that the editorial team of Tom's Guide is listening and making note of your suggestions.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]We hear you! Please know that the editorial team of Tom's Guide is listening and making note of your suggestions.[/citation]

I and any other web dev worth a damn could do it in two hours... and $1000 :)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]We hear you! Please know that the editorial team of Tom's Guide is listening and making note of your suggestions.[/citation]
page 23... Toms Hardware.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]page 23... Toms Hardware.[/citation]
Ohhhh snap.
Well, Tom's has been going strong for more than 10 years, so even if we disappeared tomorrow we still can't count as a one-hit wonder.

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]Ohhhh snap.Well, Tom's has been going strong for more than 10 years, so even if we disappeared tomorrow we still can't count as a one-hit wonder.[/citation]
I'm surprised they're still here..don't most people use adblock? lol

G

They do it to increase their page clicks, which increases their ranking and SEO. You guys should try turning off adblock for a day, I used to run it but havent in months, browsers block the most annoying adds automatically and the others don't really detract from the experience at all. Hey, you might even see something you like.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I and any other web dev worth a damn could do it in two hours... and $1000[/citation]

wow, $500 an hour, how reasonable... do people really charge like that?

if so I finally know why websites seemingly take forever to fix the smallest little things...

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I liked this article (and it seems like I'm the only one that's going to comment on it). What I remember from the dot-com bubble bursting, though, is all the search engines that were competing back then: lycos, dogpile, ask jeeves...and so on. Now, it's just Google. Maybe a page on all the search engine choices back then would be nice.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]FreyjasChosen[/nom]I liked this article (and it seems like I'm the only one that's going to comment on it). What I remember from the dot-com bubble bursting, though, is all the search engines that were competing back then: lycos, dogpile, ask jeeves...and so on. Now, it's just Google. Maybe a page on all the search engine choices back then would be nice.[/citation]

There were a lot of popular search engines back in the day, however most of them are still around and are just simply not popular anymore. Lycos, Dogpile and Ask.com are all still alive and kicking.

-Devin

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
AJAX + Jquery, look into it.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Cyberrebate was a pyramid scheme. They paid rebates from the revenue of new purchases. Then the people in charge left the country with lots of money. I bought a few overpriced things from them, and slowly got rebates, except for my last purchase. Fortunately for me, my credit card company paid me back for my last purchase.

There is a difference between being a one hit wonder, and doing illegal things.

G

Was Hamster Dance "Flash-based"? If this means it was based on Flash Player, then it isn't and wasn't Flash-based. All the animations are animated GIFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.