22 Free Apps for New Windows Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
When did programs on the PC start being called apps? I know we have always called programs applications as well, but app name for programs on phones and tablets came about because they were small, lightweight versions of programs.

G

Actually sykozis, I already have at least half of them on my system. Some I have been using for years.
The "majority" of PC users, as you say, won't be in Tom's Guide or any other tech blog to begin with. But, the "majority" of Tom's Guide readers would probably be interested in some, especially new readers looking for free PC programs.
It's not like Tom suggested you had to take 'em all!

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
lol chrome? And the only mention of FireFox was a move from it? I thought by now everyone would have learned and moved away from google's ecosystem.

G

These aren't apps! Skype has an app for windows 8. None of the others do. these are applications.

nukemaster

Distinguished
WINAMP!!!!!!
Been using it for YEARS.

VLC is also very good.

Chrome vs Firefox is up to user opinion more then anything.

Avast is also good.

I have used EaseUS todo backup and it worked out well.

Defraggler is another on I have been using for my HDDs

All in all, I have used most(bust still not all) of the programs listed here. :)

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I question AV-Test's scoring system. Basically it looks like they arbitrarily hand out scores based on how much money you give them (or fail to give them). Avast! is pretty decent though, for the most part. I just mean to say that MSE has been slammed by AV-Test and unfairly so.

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Might be a lil late to post this now, but there is a website that reviews all programs (applications) that are free. Check out
http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]When did programs on the PC start being called apps? I know we have always called programs applications as well, but app name for programs on phones and tablets came about because they were small, lightweight versions of programs.[/citation]

I agree with you, it's sounds unprofessional to call pograms "apps". But I guess since the OS developer thinks your PC should be a big phone it only makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.