$25,900 3D Copier Makes Real Objects

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
The difference between this one and previous models, like Electro Goofy said, is that you can scan a model, use the 3D data, and then "print" out the copy with the same machine.

Mondotronics used to sell 3D scanners and small CNC machines through their catalog in the late 90s, plus software that both could use, but the scanner/fabricator were separate. Also the fabricator didn't use the powder+printed binder method of this one and most modern 3D printers (the loose powder is smoothed out and a glue is sprayed on the shape of a layer of the model, then another layer of powder is smoothed over that and repeat a few dozen hundred times until a 3D model made up of "slices" of the original comes out)

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]I wanna sit my ass on that copier. Much more "funny" factor than black & white butt prints.[/citation]
Now imagine a pissed off colleague waiting around hours for the machine to be free only to find a scale model of someones ass when it finally is.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Haven't toy makers, 3d-model makers been using this sort of thing for a *long* time now?[/citation]

First line of article says: "Z Corporation today revealed the first automated, monochrome 3D printer, costing consumers a whopping $29,500 USD."

So, probably not.

NIhal Ed

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
When I read these comment I realize how many morons we live with. How can this world progress with such pea brains. Soon we will 3D print body organs. Get Ready!

NIhal Ed

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
When I read these comment I realize how many mugs we live with. How can this world progress with such negative thinkers / 'pea brains'. Soon we will 3D print body organs. Get Ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.