25 Million Have Played Modern Warfare 2 Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
hype was delivered because 25 million players have played once? If by delivered you mean it sold the games yes. If it delivered a worthwhile multiplayer. far from it. i played the multiplayer and found it nearly unbearable. Ive talked to a lot of people at my school that have played and most of them think its a pretty crappy game and barely play it more than once a week. I wont argue further ive pretty much stated my opinion and the internet isnt one for delivering a point across to anyone that doesnt want to listen to reason or doubt.

Gotbeef

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I'm one of those 25million people who don't play anymore of Mw2 on PC. After finding a hacker in the game and couldn't do anything about it. I never played it again. I really got sick of it. I only bought the game because of 2 friends who have it on PC. But its the last time I buy a COD game.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]Not part of that 25 M and proud of it. My money is NOT going out to Activision. They can keep their corporate BS.[/citation]
Same here. Don't know how old you are but us 30+ yrs old geezers who grew up playing all the Doom games, Half-Life + all mods, Unreal Tournament, Quake1..2..3, WarCraft, and Starcraft, just don't find much fun playing some of the newer genres of FPS games anymore. They just don't make games like they used to. And to me its an insult playing FPS games on the Xbox or PS3. Precision control, speed, and ease of almost infinite buttons cannot be had on a gamepad controller...period!

I wish all versions (Consoles/PC) of MWF2 can connect and play together. PC players would run circles around the console players all day. the best Console player is probably rookie class vs PC players. Its that much of a difference.

Lastly, if ur balls haven't dropped yet, you shouldn't be playing FPS games and or speak on mics for FPS games. Really.

G

I actually like it very much for the XBox, but that might only be because I'm good at it. True, it's more of a love-hate thing... there was a dark period (the Care Package Glitch, for those who know) when I wanted to ram my controller down someone's throat because Infinity Ward was so slow to patch it. I even pre-ordered BFBC2 as a protest, even though I wasn't much impressed by the demo. But my copy of BFBC2 is still sitting in its packaging right now... I just don't have the energy for a new relationship yet.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Is it just me, or does 25 million sound like a rather insignificant milestone on a world-wide scale? Is this number for North American players, or is it world-wide? If it's the latter, then it's my guess that their product is still not as successful as they had hoped it would be. I know some console users (4) who own the game. The only reason they went online was so they could complete the Spec-Ops missions because all 4 have some form of OCD regarding 100% completion and trophy attainment.

How about a comparative number for how many people played CoD4:MW?

LeRoo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Best CoD release IMO was CoD: United Offensive. This was before they started to go down the console route (CoD 2 had retarded controls to marry up with the XBox controller - although they removed mouse wheel support it's still playable on PC) - 64 players online, multiple vehicles, fixed anti-tank gun emplacements, dedicated servers, community maps & mods - everything you could ask for really. When you started out playing this game, it didn't matter if you were rubbish - with 64 players there was always someone to go after.

LeRoo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Best CoD release IMO was CoD: United Offensive. This was before they started to go down the console route (CoD 2 had retarded controls to marry up with the XBox controller - although they removed mouse wheel support it's still playable on PC) - 64 players online, multiple vehicles, fixed anti-tank gun emplacements, dedicated servers, community maps & mods - everything you could ask for really. When you started out playing this game, it didn't matter if you were rubbish - with 64 players there was always someone to go after.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
You know what you can do with DLC....
Unless of course it virtually changes the game ie WoW expansions. I'm not paying £8 for 4 poxy maps.

momomiester

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
wow and to think every time i play I am in the top three or win. I must be good and I hardly ever play and am using an older PC. I am freaking awesome!!!!!!

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jimbo21[/nom]I feel as if some people are so into being "unique" and trying to fight the norms and popular demands that they overlook things that are actually good. Although it is subjective, you can hardly say a game that sold over 8 million copies and is still being played by nearly 25 million people is bad.[/citation]

I got two words for you... Britney Spears. She has sold more albums than Ozzy Osbourne, Frank Sinatra, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and even Eminem. Now, rethink your whole position.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Same here. Don't know how old you are but us 30+ yrs old geezers who grew up playing all the Doom games, Half-Life + all mods, Unreal Tournament, Quake1..2..3, WarCraft, and Starcraft, just don't find much fun playing some of the newer genres of FPS games anymore. They just don't make games like they used to. And to me its an insult playing FPS games on the Xbox or PS3. Precision control, speed, and ease of almost infinite buttons cannot be had on a gamepad controller...period! I wish all versions (Consoles/PC) of MWF2 can connect and play together. PC players would run circles around the console players all day. the best Console player is probably rookie class vs PC players. Its that much of a difference. Lastly, if ur balls haven't dropped yet, you shouldn't be playing FPS games and or speak on mics for FPS games. Really.[/citation]
Yup. They don't make games like Quake, Team Fortress,etc any more. All they (mainly the publishers, who make most of the $$$ and some devs) care about is money, money, money,and did I say money.Don't forget, we PC gamers are now getting mainly console ports. I do hope Crytek can deliver on good game play and graphics for PC in Crysis 2.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
The title of this article is completely goofed. It should read "Activision: 25 million screwed and counting"

Big fan of the COD franchise, well....I was. I got to say, when Activision wants to piss of a player base, they don't mess around.

G

I do not like the hacked servers and the VAC system reading the ram. But no one will act upon information gathered, screen shots and data files and IP numbers. Not one single response, reply back.. Grown men; acting like children. Profanity I've never heard before, ever, and I worked for Game Spy Arcade for 4 years. I heard parents, telling how to cheat to their children, right online. I think it's just a "quake game movement clone" due to the jumping and bull-tripe. I play with real players, you get shot, you sit the map out. Everyone uses the same equipment, making it fair, as stratagy and talent are now required. This hoppy akimbo, BS; is too much. If your prestige lvl 2; then group it "lvl 2 prestige only players making it even." I play the single player that's it for me now. So sad to see, it's all about money. The mental and ethical representation of gamers around the world to-date is repulsive. What has this world come to?

Status
Not open for further replies.