25 Years of Mac: Hits and Misses

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"the Mac computers were not equipped with a BIOS comparable to that of the PC, which is a must for the installation of Windows"
Says who? Which macs anyway? powerPC ones or intel ones? Why would Windows need to "look" at the BIOS anyway?
...Do you even know what the BIOS is? Jesus so much ignorance in this article, it's pathetic.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I grew up using Macs. They were superior to PCs in the 90s. The only thing they lacked was game support. I think if Apple embraced gaming from the beginning, it would have a much greater market share. With Windows 2000, PCs had finally caught up to the quality of the Mac OS. I'm out of the loop now since Mac OS X came out. I like games too much.

Amiga was pretty sweet too. They were the best gaming computers back in the late 80s/early 90s although Apple IIgs had some better quality titles for some reason since the Amiga was technically more capable. Amiga waned and Mac became the new best computer/OS when they finally introduced 256-color Macs. The only reason anyone had to use DOS or Windows was for exclusive games because Mac/Amiga ports were usually superior and Mac OS was certainly a superior operating system.

jrivera04

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
[citation][nom]trevorvdw[/nom]Amiga Forever![/citation]

Absolutely!

I had an Amiga 500. Way ahead of its time.

They had the ability to emulate PC and Mac using add on boards all while running their native OS.

Babylon 5, Seaquest DSV and Terminator II done on an Amiga. No PC or Mac of that time could ever dream of such a feat.

G

I used to have one just like the one at the top of the first page... was my first computer actually.

Powersworder

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Apple makes simple computers for simple users. As a company, they have fully adopted the philosophy of "style over substance".

I think the funniest thing Ive read about Apple, is how they originally only developed a one button mouse because they figured that their userbase were too dumb to handle a 2 button mouse.

G

Wondering if it's possible to close the Visual Studio Ad that's covering the first 15 characters or so of every line in this article. Then I could actually read the article and comment on it's contents. Just a thought.

Dragoon21b

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Let me throw in my two cents here about apples Secrecy "Issues". I used to work for Apple,but I ended up quitting...twice. Not because of any of what you might think of as the usual sort of things (I liked my job and worked with some really great people) but I just simply couldn't stand the paranoia. Example: the only person in the entire building with a window was the front desk receptionist, you had to badge out and go past security just to get to the bathroom...it was Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.