3.5mm jack sometimes doesn`t work

Alex_dp

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hello.

I`m experiencing the following issue:
I have ASUS n751jk laptop. It has an aluminium body. There is an audio system with subwoofer which is connected to my laptop through 3.5mm jack.
Sometimes (usually ones in a couple of days) 3.5mm jack stops working. If I unplug audio system - sound comes out from laptop`s speakers, but even if I plug in 3.5mm another device (headphones e.g.) - there is no sound.
All audio settings seem to be ok. When 3.5mm is not working(!) an icon in the right bottom corner displays like the sound is coming out and everything works fine.

What I have tried to do:
1) Reinstall audio drivers.
2) Reinstall OS - i tried Win8, Win10, Linux. In every case this issue might occur.

What helps:
Turn off laptop, remove battery, insert it back and turn on the laptop.
Only after these steps the 3.5mm jack is working fine and I`m able to use it with my headphones\audio system.

The main question is - why am I experiencing this issue?
As I understand - it`s not a software issue.
Once I was in ASUS service trying to explain this issue and at that moment 3.5mm worked fine and they told me just to reinstall drivers\remove antivirus etc. That didn`t help.
I`m trying to understand the reason of this problem.

Any thoughts, ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes, you can be correct that it's not a software issue and can be the hardware that is the problem. Since you've already did reinstall the OS itself that should have completely solved the issue. I would suggest doing a clean install of the Sound driver and if that will still not work, do take the laptop again to the repair center and explain to them the problem is still present even after reinstalling Windows.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Sound card driver.
- Once done, check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to the Sound card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from ASUS.
- Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Audio/Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017329.zip?_ga=1.162420670.305422646.1455979617
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed then observe it again after the reboot.
- If these steps will not solve the problem then proceed with taking it to the repair center.

Alex_dp

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Thanks for the reply.

Could removing battery and aluminium body be connected somehow ?
Also, I want to notice that when I plug the wire in 3.5mm jack there is a distinctive buzzing coming out from external speakers.

TRENDING THREADS