3 Apple Products For The Future Without Steve Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gus1991

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Apple, sooner or later your gonna have to settle for what you have... Keep it simple and just sell phones, big phones and music players that look like phones along with those pieces of crap you call computers.. It's what you do best...

hahahaha fail @ apple.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]So is Apple iTV going to be like HTPC, which existed a long time?If it is, then the way I see it is that they are heading into a territory dominated by cheap ITX, microATX build and Apple need to get some serious hardware, excellent software and gui bundled with media content to compete.Also, do you think Apple will popularize HTPC with iTV and everyone think that they came up with that idea?[/citation]

Actually, you may not know this, but if you have cheapo Mac Mini and/or and iPhone/iPod touch/iPad you have one seriously powerful HTPC. There's an app called RowMote which allows your handheld device to become the remote for the Mac...over WiFi... It's pretty sweet (can be used as a mouse/keyboard or as a simple pointer, etc) and the Mac Mini has built in HDMI as well as Optical output so it becomes a pretty powerful HTPC for very little money.

Back in the day when I was looking to put something together, it turned out that getting a dual core mini with all the features was cheaper than me trying to cobble something together - then with the addition of RowMote it became something I couldn't have built unless I spend quite a bit more cash...

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]joshybo7[/nom]with all these patents apple is claiming, it makes me wonder whatever happened to all those ati-trust laws preventing monopolies in order to force competition?[/citation]

Too busy disputing about having the "browser ballet" to select which browser before installing Windows. After all they are still moaning and griping about unable to uninstall "internet explorer" from "Windows" lol.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Actually, you may not know this, but if you have cheapo Mac Mini and/or and iPhone/iPod touch/iPad you have one seriously powerful HTPC. There's an app called RowMote which allows your handheld device to become the remote for the Mac...over WiFi... It's pretty sweet (can be used as a mouse/keyboard or as a simple pointer, etc) and the Mac Mini has built in HDMI as well as Optical output so it becomes a pretty powerful HTPC for very little money.Back in the day when I was looking to put something together, it turned out that getting a dual core mini with all the features was cheaper than me trying to cobble something together - then with the addition of RowMote it became something I couldn't have built unless I spend quite a bit more cash...[/citation]
MyRemote, been using it for a while now, let's me control my PC with my phone too, with an AMD APU HTPC it works very well.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I think that if apple were to produce a tv (or a box) that would allow content streaming like WM12 does and uses your iTunes account to rent movies, in addition to content streaming would be a great thing.

If they were to make the mac a good platform for gaming (it could happen)..., but I think that at most they'd stick to what they have.

if they could bridge the gaps that they have in these areas, it'd be killer. btw, I hate everything apple, but I think that doing these things would be very smart.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]MyRemote, been using it for a while now, let's me control my PC with my phone too, with an AMD APU HTPC it works very well.[/citation]

Visited the site and it doesn't seem that there are many updates to this - how well does it work (not being a dick, just asking)...

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
The acquisition of Steam by Apple would be a fantastic opportunity to grab a chunk of the gaming market. Though enthusiast overclockers are a minute (and increasingly irrelevant) fringe on the edge of gaming, Cook/Ives may need to usher in GPU upgradable iMacs (if not a console). WebKit drives the Steam GUI as it is; a project closely associated with Apple. A unison would also be a slap in the face to MS for purloining and dumbing-down Bungie.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]The acquisition of Steam by Apple would be a fantastic opportunity to grab a chunk of the gaming market. Though enthusiast overclockers are a minute (and increasingly irrelevant) fringe on the edge of gaming, Cook/Ives may need to usher in GPU upgradable iMacs (if not a console). WebKit drives the Steam GUI as it is; a project closely associated with Apple. A unison would also be a slap in the face to MS for purloining and dumbing-down Bungie.[/citation]

What's irrelevant is Apple acquiring steam. Steam already supports Mac and there are already games on the Mac. The difference would be if Apple did acquired steam Apple would close it and boot everyone else if they are not using iproducts. Not to mention upgradable imacs will tarnish their "simplicity". you really haven't taken out a hard drive out on an imac have you. I beg to differ on the "enthusiast" 20B $$$ is riding on this. Just because its not announced does not mean its irrelevant.

G

Not the game market. Consoles are good enough and well developed.
iTV - I doubt. Maybe.
3D and touch. Maybe. Not a big deal.
What is really for Apple: UI sucks, ugly devices, needs ecosystem = device + services, mass market, needs new ideas.

So it will be automotive and navigation device.

G

I live iphone very much! Our company main supply Apple iphone (4S,4G,3GS,3G,2G) spare parts,ipod spare parts and ipad parts,such as iphone spares, iphone repairs, iphone LCD, iphone touch screen, iphone digitizer, iphone flex cable, iphone frame, iphone ring, iphone button, iphone camera head, iphone sim card, iphone dock connector, iphone FPC, iphone audio jack, ipod flex cable, iphone gevey unlock, iphone back glass, iphone back cover, iphone pry tool sets, iphone battery, iphone mid board, iphone vibrator, iphone speaker, ipone antenna flex cable, iphone screws etc.
Should there be any item interested to you,please feel free to contact us.
E-mail: Kinreta@hotmail.com

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I want to see first how Apple manages the supposed/predicted Apple TV, but as the immediate future may be already planned it may take 5 years or more to see how Apple is doing after Steve Jobs. That is unless they mess up fast with poor decisions and vision.

iOS is an interesting opportunity for gaming but is way different to produce hardcore high definition AAA titles on the Mac and there are not one developer working on exclusive world class titles on the Mac.

If Apple buys Steam I can't see either any mayor benefit as Steam is already there. Apple needs to persuade enough important developers to take advantage of Steam and produce very engaging AAA games for the Mac, whatever the Apple platform becomes.

Apple will need a real visionary to create new products to keep the company relevant and the big name for that right now is Jonathan Ive. What we are going to carefully see is if Steve Jobs did some good work to create a team to push Apple for years to come.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Why is Tom's doing so much press on Apple when most of their readers couldn't care less? ...just to feed the comments?[/citation]

Yep :)

When are Google or MS going to deal with Apple already? They're way too annoying and if they ever get their hands on the gaming market, it will die or shift to consoles completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.