30 Great Seconds Make Perfect FPS Shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
So, for an FPS (and 99% of all MMO's to be hones) to be successful, all you need to is to reduce the player to a rat pressing a button for a food pellet? Well it sounds like that's what most development teams have been doing for some time now.

Most games today are just digital "whack-a-mole" hot button mashers.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
How about this: regular fps cores + ability to engage target (that is close enough) in a melee brawl like Mortal Kombat. Huh? Huh?

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
He's probably right in thinking people are stupid, but I'd prefer to have better thought out games, like Half Life 2. There was a lot of variation to the gameplay. Even with weapons. (Half Life 1 even moreso!)

[citation][nom]cccc@cccccom[/nom]Why is he swinging on Bungie's nuts for?[/citation]
LOL

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
In my opinion, what makes a perfect shooter is the heartbeat factor. If every so often you get those moments where everything is going crazy and if/when you survive, afterwards your sitting there saying to yourself.... "Holy Shit that was close".

In BFBC2 multiplayer, every once in a while I get those moments where you are being attacked, take out one with primary, take out another with a granade, knife a guy who just came up on you, bring out your gun and shoot the guy who just spawned on him. And then when you can finally breath, you are like "Wow". Its moments like those that make a good shooter.

Another shooter with alot of that is also L4D, and L4D2

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The enemies in every valve game have varied AI that requires changes in combat and strategy. They are not a repeat of the same 30 seconds all over again.
Every valve game is gold, both in sales and in reviews.
So eat that, Bleszinski!!

square965

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
You can't plant a bomb and wait for it to explode in 30 seconds.

You can't rescue the hostages in 30 seconds.

You can't build and upgrade your sentry, dispenser, and teleporters in 30 seconds.

You can't disguise as an enemy, get behind enemy lines, then take them out with backstabs in 30 seconds.

The list goes on, but those are just from the two shooters I play, CS:S and TF2. The point is, the first 30 seconds only shows the most primitive of the gameplay mechanics, the actual "shooter" aspect of it. There are many more factors beyond the core gaemplay that go into an FPS that take much longer than 30 seconds to enjoy/master.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
What is this idiot saying? What 30 seconds is this moron talking about? Why 30? If you're saying that shooting things is repetitive, why not 2 seconds? It only takes 2 seconds to shoot a zombie or whatever.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Ehh This guy doesn't know what He is talking about.I think he is just talking about what makes a good Console shooter's.If he was talking about PC also he would have mentioned the great things valve does to make a great shooter.I gave up on this guy after unreal 3 came out.Gears of war is garbage too.First one was fun on 360 when I was still into the whole console gaming scene.He is just glorifying the cookie cutter crap he does now days.

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Depends on the game, but in a game like MW2, your average life span is about 30sec to 1min. Hence what you do in that short amount of time is all the game your really playing. It could also be broken down by engagements, as the more you have, the more likely you are to lose, and start over.

Even in games like TF2 and CSS, you are still playing mini games that last only a minute most of the time. Its just that these mini games change as the level progress, which is why I luv TF2 and CSS.

The point being, if the best part of your game requires you to live beyond the normal lifespan, few people will experience it. Even fewer people will experience it on a regular basis, and the rest will become frustrated before they get to it and quite.

Ethuus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dizzycriminal[/nom]More importantly "Whats and FPS Shooter?"[/citation]

Saying FPS Shooter is like saying ATM Machine. Great article title.

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Depends on the game, but in a game like MW2, your average life span is about 30sec to 1min. Hence what you do in that short amount of time is all the game your really playing. It could also be broken down by engagements, as the more you have, the more likely you are to lose, and start over.

Even in games like TF2 and CSS, you are still playing mini games that last only a minute most of the time. Its just that these mini games change as the level progress, which is why I luv TF2 and CSS.

The point being, if the best part of your game requires you to live beyond the normal lifespan, few people will experience it. Even fewer people will experience it on a regular basis, and the rest will become frustrated before they get to it and quite.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 has a great part in online multiplayer play. The experience system. The delays in commands is quite annoying tho. A great FPS would have some kind of experience system added to what he said. But when I click on a button, I expect the action to be happening at that time, not a second later.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]square965[/nom]first 30 seconds only shows the most primitive of the gameplay mechanics[/citation]

He isn't talking about the first 30 seconds in the game or a specific 30 seconds of the game. He's talking about the most commonly performed tasks (killing your opponent) that only take up 30 seconds of game play but are repeated over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS