3d on USB FLASH 3.0 225 MB/s read???

alienwaret

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I have panasonic tx-l47wt60e 3d led TV, can i watch 3D movie from USB 3.0 FLASH DRIVE?
Which reading speed is good enough, for example kingston datatraveler hyperx ( 225MB/s read)?

Solution
*Found the MANUAL. See page 110 for video formats supported via SD/USB:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_WT60.PDF

Please note:
1) No mention of 3D
2) No mention of maximum bandwidth or other codec-specific restrictions (such as HP4.1 etc)
3) No mention of ISO (single image to keep menus etc).

So it looks like you can play 2D content that meets the requirements here. A program like Handbrake works very well for this if needed.

The BLURAY player is the best method still it looks like for 3D movies. For 2D you can make a single, compressed file like AVC/AAC/MP4 for example, or even as an ISO (after copyright removal) via DVDFab and played back via a compatible media player like one of the WDTV media players.

Cheers.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Let's say you have a 2-hour movie on a 50GB Blu-Ray disk, filling it to the max. That's 50*1024/7200=7 MB/s. With your 225 MB/s you've got plenty of speed, much more than you need.

even though you get a fast usb3 stick that doesnt mean your tv is capable of usb3 or that the internal circuitry doesnt limit you to much slower speeds.

in any case though there shouldnt be an issue. you might have a hard time getting a big usb stick cheap though.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
As long as the TV can read the USB stick fast enough to keep up you should have no problems and it can handle the codec the movie is encoded in. With that said the TV is most likely only USB 2 speed although I have not looked in a while I can't remember any with USB 3 ports yet although I am sure they are coming or already out.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I've got a Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 64GB USB 3.0 and it works at only 30 MB/s when plugged in a USB 2.0 port. I've seen it reach 170 MB/s
in a USB 3.0 port. Still, 30 MB/s is good enough IMO. It's equivalent to a Blu-Ray player at 6x.

Cheap enough... I paid $90 for mine, and then it went on sale for $70 the next week :(

Not likely.

Read your TV manual. That USB interface likely specifies only SPECIFIC video codecs (i.e. H.264) and containers (i.e. MP4) that can be played. The codec is likely fine though.

You can CONVERT a BluRay movie to play via the USB interface provided it meets the requirements listed in the manual as I specified above.

*I doubt the USB interface would even provide for decoding of 3D content.

SUMMARY:
*See your HDTV manual about this. You may have to convert using a good program like HANDBRAKE (after removing copyright protection) and 3D may not even be supported.

*USB bandwidth is NOT the main issue here as even a cheap USB2 drive should work (say 20MB/second READS for 3D just to be safe).

Again, the issue is the formats that his TV can actually decode via the USB interface and for that he needs to read his TV MANUAL.

**There are also some great solutions such as getting a WDTVLIVE box for about $80 (can add a hard drive). I have been able to use DVDFAB to copy a BluRay movie to ISO format thus keeping all the menus and then play it back on my WDTVLIVEHUB, either on the internal hard drive, USB thumb drive, or by using the WDMYCLOUD.

I'm pretty sure 3D is not supported with this method, nor am I certain of what OTHER solutions can do this aside from BluRay players of course.

Ideally, you want to store your BluRay discs as ISO images and have a method to easily access and play them as given above.

yes you are correct. he needs to read the manual. i think we are all well aware of that.

of course it wont work if his tv doesnt support decoding via usb. however, that is something he should look into.

we were just stating the requirements for the usb stick if his tv supports video via usb and giving some options for sticks.

if his tv is incapable your idea of a box connected to the tv would work great and would have been my suggestion as well. any of the streaming media boxes which is capable of playback from usb would work. or he could skip usb flash drives and use a nas or usb hard drive instead for more space at less cost.

tons of options.

i agree iso is the easiest to work with (and to create from disks) but playback is always an issue. many devices do not support iso.

*Found the MANUAL. See page 110 for video formats supported via SD/USB:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_WT60.PDF

Please note:
1) No mention of 3D
2) No mention of maximum bandwidth or other codec-specific restrictions (such as HP4.1 etc)
3) No mention of ISO (single image to keep menus etc).

So it looks like you can play 2D content that meets the requirements here. A program like Handbrake works very well for this if needed.

The BLURAY player is the best method still it looks like for 3D movies. For 2D you can make a single, compressed file like AVC/AAC/MP4 for example, or even as an ISO (after copyright removal) via DVDFab and played back via a compatible media player like one of the WDTV media players.

Cheers.

Solution