4 Reasons Not to Get a 4K TV — Yet (Archive)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max_x2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
oh, and one more thing: movie studios definitely needs to work on video compression since it's usually way too compressed, even for 1080p. Now, imagine what it will be with 4 times the resolution.

Ronald Fleming

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
see, That is the Problem. Many people say, YADA YADA, yet dont really have the gear to say, WHY NOT. I have a 39" 4K Monitor. YES, I thought the same as every other post, UNTIL I hooked it up. THIS is the Game Changer tech. I paid $650 for the Monitor (Seiki), and $250 for a Up-Converting BluRay Player.

This Combo= GIVES you a 4K, AKA IMAX Resolution at home. Content- the upconversion from dvd->1080P, didnt really work very well, BUT it did work. The upconversion from blu-ray --> 2160P-THAT is a different animal. IT does indeed work. NOT 100%- BUT it does indeed work Very well. IT does make any bluray Owned, from Predator,Aliens, Conan LOOK VERY, VERY good. Never have i Scene 25yr old Movies, that Look better than the day i saw them first.

BUT the most important aspec of 4K. THE PC. 4K Gaming, is a Different animal. YES it cost's to be at that level. BUT- Never in the Computer Industry, have we had this level of resolutino jump. YOU see the typical people, actually settling for 2.7K versus 4K. THOSE are the people who dont have the gear, saying bad things. For $700 for the Video Card, and $700 for a 39" Monitor.. This was the single largest jump in video quality, ever experienced. youTube content, does indeed look- Extremely GOOD at Up-converted 4K.

Folks, forget that Windows- by default does an outstanding job at up-converting content.

EVERY BluRay I have played- From Predator-Avatar The upconversion ROCKS. To the point that after 2 days, with 4K- My $1500 -55" Samsung LED TV, started to look very bad to my eyes.
NETFLIX- The BLUK- meaning over 70% of NETFLIX presented via- the SAMSUNG up-converting bluray player, 70% gets upconverted to 4K-.. How I met your Mother, at 4K-(naturally my favorite), is breathtaking.
BF3, at 4K+Ultra Settings- even at only 30fps.. IT looks very-VERY GOOD.

All i had to do, was demo Mass Effect 3, at 4K====4 Combo systems sold within hours.. 1x 39" 4K monitor, and 1x Nvidia 780GTX Card. It is a technology, that will indeed cause buyers regret.(with regards to 1080P gear), but is the future. Makes ANYTHING look that much better.

Those who say no.. LACK THE GEAR to fully see how good it truely looks.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Sean:
re:color: most recorded output formats including the proposed 4K blu-ray, are 8-bit.
re: reduced frame rate: the source material for most of the above rmentioned recorded formats is 24 p, not 60p. so the frame rate isn't being cut in half at all. 3:2 pulldown is being added by the TV. no big deal, you've been watching it on high-end blu-ray for years.

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Okay, assuming money or technicalities are not an issue...which would you rather do?

Thumbs up for "Handing everyone their own HD Oculus Rift head set to watch the movie."
Thumbs down for "Have everyone watch the movie on the 70 Inch Big Screen 4K TV."

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Okay, assuming money or technicalities are not an issue...which would you rather do?

Thumbs up for "Handing everyone their own HD Oculus Rift head set to watch the movie."
Thumbs down for "Have everyone watch the movie on the 70 Inch Big Screen 4K TV."

hottymega55

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
wrong there is HDMI 1.4A and coming next year 1.4B to improve 4K ability. there are a growing selection of 4k films sony and universal and warner bros is thinking on getting in on it. the film jaws, back to the future ghostbusters the spiderman movies and more any blu-ray with the following video including is 4k MPEG-4 AVC (29.64 Mbps). 4k players price my vary depending on the maker 4k players have ability to upscale blu-ray to 4k quality if you are using a 4k tv. tv prices depend on maker and size the cheapest one is from sony 54.6 inchs big at 3,499.99 while it's on sale normal price is around 5,000 which is normal for such a big tv sony stated next year their will be more of them with a larger selection which would offer a larger selection of price ranges so as time passes more will be belt with so you could find the right price and size for you. so 4k movies say 4k on the box or on the back state MPEG-4 AVC (29.64 Mbps) are blu-rays which are 4k.

hottymega55

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
4k and 8k is here most home theater projectors are 4k and sony makes the largest 4k tv selection with normal prices for tv sizes they offer which are 4k from 54.6inch to 84inch from 3,000 something to 24,000 depending on the size their 4k player is 249.00 which ok for such a thing. you may have a few 4k movies and not even know it so you would have to upgrade this is how you know if you have other it states 4k right on the box or says on the back MPEG-4 AVC (29.64 Mbps) which universal pictures does sony states at least so i'm told. here are a few titles which are 4k you may own or not the jaws and back to the future films, spiderman films ghostbusters and many other films from these two studios and know warner brothers and lion gate are thinking of switching over. so their is a new format war going on and not know it between HD and UHD also known as 2k,4k and 8k will UHD when who knows so next time you buy a film check if it bares a UHD logo or MPEG-4 AVC (29.64 Mbps) logo or superhd logo. is how you know the true quality the film and what it is you are watching so it's time to choose sides. like when it was HDDVD VS BLU-RAY this time it's UHD VS HD pick sides and hope your side wins other wise it's going to be a waste of money. by the all 4k tv support HD CONTENT AND 1080P3D by the way their is talk that within a while there will be a upgrade which will upgrade the PS4 FROM HD TO UHD so know you know have a nice day.

Ted Twietmeyer

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Everything stated in the article is 100% correct. Older films and shows don't have the resolution to use 4K. Image detail just isn't there despite 4K resolution. Question of economics for broadcasters, too. Much of their equipment will need to be thrown out *again*.
You can watch a 1,024 res TV today and still see fuzzy images. Why? Because broadcasters often use lower resolution, such as 640 or 480. Use the info button on your remote to see what resolution is really being broadcast. Flat panels silently switch resolution back and forth all the time without telling you. Live sports, events, PBS and some movie channels are about the only material usually broadcast in 1,024. For many TV shows and movies don't count on 1,024. WPIX (NYC) airing on Dish Network probably has the worst looking broadcast of all. ION TV over-the-air is often terrible as well.

Steve Struthers

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
4K is a snore-fest right now because we are years away from 4K broadcast signals. Heck, the broadcasters have barely started upgrading their infrastructure to broadcast true 1080 signals (and may never do so because of cost), and most cable connections have highly compressed bandwidth, so you're not even getting a real HD signal.

If anyone wonders why 4K sets are uber-expensive, it's because the manufacturers like to recoup their R&D costs up front. As technologies mature and become mainstream over time, the prospect of recouping R&D costs diminishes commensurately. This happens with any major new technology. Remember how costly home PC's were when they first came out?

Cintos

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Thanks for this warning. I made the error of buying a first gen 1080i system from RCA back at the turn of the century. It is a huge direct view (read cry) unit delivering a beautiful picture - BUT, it only has Component Video inputs. Lacking HDMi connectivity, there is no Blue-Ray option. The first AppleTV streaming box had component video, so we have been enjoying that as an interactive content supplier for many years now.

Apple, as usual, will take the nascent technology and up the game. The new Mac Pro has been confirmed as handling multiple 4K displays at the full resolution, color and refresh rates that 4K devices are capable of delivering. Apples first "monitor" displays will be followed next year with consumer devices. And if there are still any "updates" to be applied over the coming years, Apple has a spectacular track record of retrofitting the latest features into older devices (like my original AppleTV). iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and iPads can all run the latest iOS7, and likely the vast majority of over a half billion such devices will be running it at year end.

andruxand

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
in my country people not seen even 1080, are many tv post with 4:3 emission not even 16:9 format :(
4k is look fantastic but not to buy now indeed...maybe in 1 or 2years

tcliew

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just bought a Seiki 55" 4K TV. Compares to Sony/Samsung/LG, the price is about a few hundreds higher than the conventional 1080P 120Hz TV. They all have 30Hz at 4K. The price I paid for 4K TV was worth it. To have a 4K support through PC, got to have at least mid-range graphic card and fast CPU. decoding the 4K video in i5-37xx takes about 40% without graphic card.

G

"They all have 30Hz at 4K"
thats not correct:
sonys 4k tv's support HDMI 2.0, which can do 4k@60Hz. might need a firmware update tho.
other brands cant upgrade theirs to the 2.0 spec, so they are "stuck" at 30Hz.

anything that is NOT 4k gets upscaled by the tv. same like it is now. i hope everyone that says 4k is not making sense because of no-content, should throw out their full-HD tv, since only a BD with 1080/24p really matches the tv's quality..
i have seen 2x4k from sony running total recall in 4k-mastered BD (1080) next to the native 4k. i could NOT see a difference in the picture...
and YES you CAN see a difference beyond 10ft distance...

Status
Not open for further replies.