4Chan DDoS Takes Down RIAA and MPAA Sites

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
oh i don't know, maybe if there was some way to find like minded people, perhaps via some kind of network, and you started holding meetings and mailing/emailing/calling representatives or even began peaceful protests to attract media attention, and so on. but of course that requires actual effort and does not provide instant-gratification.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]Do you really want the governments of the world getting involved in your personal life?[/citation]

Do you really want the MPAA/RIAA launching DDoS attacks? 4Chan did a good job of picking their battle, this time.

Heh, looks like AIPlex had no DDoS protection.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]which is why it's even more important for people to put their energy in a political movement instead of wasting their time with DDoS attacks and criticizing others for suggesting real solutions.[/citation]

I think the DDoS is the best way to go. Nothing says grassroot more then a botnet smacking your site down. BTW if you dont cover your politicians in campaign money they will not listen to you.

[citation][nom]GoodSyntax[/nom]And how would you go about trying to affect change.It's like telling politicians that they should pass a bill for term limits.[/citation]

Good example... Or passing a bill to limiting their ability to accept bribes, oops I meant board member jobs!

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
So...Create another vocal fringe group with a few hundred active supporters?

Effort != Results

What was the public sentiment when RIAA went on the offensive, and sued thousands of individuals from children to grandparents for six figures because of a few dozen songs? How much affect did that sentiment have on our nations politics? How is it that they suddenly were allowed to subpoena ISP accounts? How much did it cost these ISPs to comply and were they compensated in any way? How is it that rootkits appear on music cds and install without user acceptance?

Meanwhile, it's OK for MPAA and RIAA to engage in the same practices that they themselves demonize? Their activities and ham fisted tactics are just as bad as the pirates they purport to stop. The difference is they are more-or-less government sanctioned and have legions of lawyers ready to take children and grandparents to court for hundreds of thousands of dollars in "IP Infringement" cases.

Instead of embracing new technologies and lower cost delivery platforms, they would rather threaten and menace their customers with litigation and spend tens of millions a year in lobbying. They would rather burden paying customers with DRM and unreasonable fair use policies.

Sorry, but a few hundred like minded individuals cannot compete with the resources that these multimedia monopolies currently have.

The tactics that 4Chan, TPB and others engage in are the only way that can have an affect. These groups continue to bring media coverage to the issue while forcing MPAA and RIAA to exhaust resources in defense of DDoS. Try as I'm sure they will, you cannot sue anonymous shadow groups. Every time the latest and greatest DRM scheme is cracked (even before it becomes publicly available) is a win for the anti-DRM crowd and the public in general.

One day, a smart business man at MPAA or RIAA will look at the ROI of their DRM and litigation efforts and be staggered at the losses. Maybe then, real change will happen...

I'm fighting against the current here..but...

Have you all forgotten why DRM was even invented, and why the RIAA/MPAA exists? They may be a very badly run organizations, however the root cause is the pirates/hackers that the majority of you posters so respect. The trouble is that WE the public can not be trusted to pay instead of steal.

I despise DRM myself.. and hope that companies will come up with a better solution which isn't so....draconic, But I at least realize why it does exist.

For those of you who hate DRM, who here can honestly say that they havent torrented/pirated anything at all?

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
And who doesn't speed on the highway either?

Obviously many people do. The point is that when I purchase a DVD/CD/Blu-Ray for the kids, I don't want to be forced to purchase another when it gets scratched.

Give people options and most will comply. You will never completely eradicate piracy, but fair use should be common sense and good business.

Allow me to register my media online so I can download a "watermarked" copy should the media get destroyed. Then if my watermarked copy is leaked, you can chase after me. Until then, do not assume that I am a criminal and pursue me for thought crimes. Just because I backup my movies and music does not mean I intend to mass produce with the intent of profit.

And who has a Discman these days? I listen to my music on MP3 players, streaming network devices and other digital toys. I prefer to have a digital catalog of movies I've purchased instead of a library of discs that I have to switch.

Look, it goes both ways. If you want consumers to go digital and purchase network devices and install server software to manage media, pay for subscription services to Napster/Netflix/Hulu etc., then provide people with a legal means to take the media purchased in store and move it to a more readily consumable format. Charge a fair price for content and give me a means to manage that content and I will be happy. Don't force me into proprietary hardware/software because you assume that if you don't I will redistribute it. Don't infest my server with rootkits and DRM, I actually use it for other things as well.

I'm tired of purchasing the same movie in VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray. Same goes for music on cassette, CD and MP3. The amount of money I've spent on repurchases is absurd!

Convergence and convenience is the key. I want my media to be ready to play on an iPod, Zune, PC, Network Device, Cell Phone or any other gadget when I want and where I want. If I don't own the rights consume to the content and I cannot choose when and how I consume the content then what is it that I am spending money on?

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Wow what a complete failure for 4Chan. This was probably the intention of the RIAA and MPAA.

I would expect more regulation and more government resources going to fighting piracy and botnets. This will just further the international attacks on botnets and torrenters.

Well done, it seems 4Chan has fallen directly into a trap.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Quote: "The RIAA attack was scheduled for 3 p.m. Eastern Time and the site went down five minutes before that time."

Pretty much scared the hell out of RIAA, it went down before the attack started.

[citation][nom]GoodSyntax[/nom]And who doesn't speed on the highway either?Obviously many people do....etc.....[/citation]

Since you purchased the media it IS legal to make a back-up copy for your OWN use. I completely agree with your sentiments about having freedom if you're a paying customer, however it isnt fair to the companies either when people pirate instead of buy.

As for your wise crack on speeding: There are streetside murders in every town too, does that mean this is ok as well? Reminds me of the old quote about jumping off a bridge...

[citation][nom]Markdown Trolls[/nom]..have struck again...[/citation]
Instead of just thumbing down a post which you're unable to counter, put forth some effort and post a decent counterpoint. To do otherwise makes your opinion moot. If this gets marked down, you only prove my point :)

G

Not like many people are eager to read their websites anyways!
Ddos attacks don't do much but stop a website. They're not really taking the company down!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well if RIAA/MPAA takes justice and the law in their own hand by both beeing prosecutor, judge and jury AND then enforces the "pubishment" and take down a site by illegal means they should be accoutable for it and punished severly like anyone who takes the law into their own hands!

Last record i EVER buy from any their members. If the companies behind really respect the law they should withdraw from the organisations conducting thoose illegal actions and let the battle against the sites take place in a real court!

Status
Not open for further replies.