4Chan DDoS Takes Down RIAA and MPAA Sites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
The people downloadig the torrents are the people with the gigabit seedboxes that can hammer your servers into oblivion. This should serve as a stern warning to the bastards!

G

Well I see Tomshardware has been taken over by a bunch of internet toughguy posters. It truely is a sad day :(

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I approve. Anyways, what's next? The people who are represented by RIAA/MPAA would be a good choice imo.... or the internal mail servers used by any of the ones said above.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I don't think that this has accomplished anything (who goes to the MPAA, RIAA, Aiplex sites? TPB probably gets more traffic in 1 minute than they get in 1 month. Their network infrastructure would also be that much easier to take down because of their low traffic levels. Of course TPB often goes down just from regular user loads.

That being said, its still a nice gesture.

freeman70

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Even with widespread piracy, the movie, music, and video game industries are still profitable. If piracy were to end tomorrow, I don't think they would lower prices. They would just be given carte blanche to charge whatever they want. iTunes' business model is successful because of their pricing schemes. This was a reaction to piracy and consumers benefited. Steam for computer games is also gaining popularity because of its pricing- especially for older titles. The financial meltdown is proof of what greedy bastards can do. They don't have your interests are heart. They want to make a **** load of money mostly at your expense. I have nothing against making a decent profit and getting paid well but some of the profits and bonuses paid were outrageous sums. In these days of global mergers, corporate collusion and price fixing, I sometimes think there may be a need for these Internet revolutionaries. We need someone to keep these corporations in check.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
If 4chan isn't shut down for all the other things that go down there, they sure won't be shut down over a DDoS attack.
It also sends the message "We can do this better than you", although the RIAA/MPAA are far too ignorant of the internet to even understand what happened to them.

devorakman112

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
When organizations make moves like this, though they are trying to uphold the law, they make alot of enemies on the net. When they hired a company to DDoS one of the biggest torrent sites on the web, they started a war. WWIII will not be fought with guns and bombs, it will be fought with computers, and there will be more victims than in any other war in history.

You called down the thunder, now face the wrath of the entire torrenting population.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Guess the Corporation will have to spend more money to turn The People against the "punks". Democracy has won a battle but the war is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.